Building models for marketing decisions: past, present and future
AbstractWe review five eras of model building in marketing, with special emphasis on the fourth and the fifth eras, the present and the future. At many firms managers now routinely use model-based results for marketing decisions. Given an increasing number of successful applications, the demand for models that are suitable in other contexts, will accelerate. At the same time the development of innovative modeling approaches pushes the practical use of models in new areas. The latter is especially critical in an environment that changes rapidly. We propose a perspective on the "new marketing" and suggest some contributions models can make in the twenty-first century.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management) in its series Research Report with number 00F20.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sivakumar, K., 2004. "Manifestations and measurement of asymmetric brand competition," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(8), pages 813-820, August.
- D. Van Den Poel & B. Larivière, 2003.
"Customer Attrition Analysis For Financial Services Using Proportional Hazard Models,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
03/164, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Van den Poel, Dirk & Lariviere, Bart, 2004. "Customer attrition analysis for financial services using proportional hazard models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(1), pages 196-217, August.
- HorvÃ¡th, Csilla & Wieringa, Jaap E., 2003. "Combining time series and cross sectional data for the analysis of dynamic marketing systems," Research Report 03F13, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Gonzalez-Benito, Oscar, 2005. "Spatial competitive interaction of retail store formats: modeling proposal and empirical results," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 457-466, April.
- Alejandro Balbas & Mercedes Esteban Bravo & Jose M. Vidal-Sanz, 2009. "Optimal risk in marketing resource allocation," Business Economics Working Papers wb090868, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Halkos, George, 2008. "The influence of stress and satisfaction on productivity," MPRA Paper 39654, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wieringa, Jaap E. & Horvath, Csilla, 2005. "Computing level-impulse responses of log-specified VAR systems," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 279-289.
- Hempelmann, Bernd, 2006. "Optimal franchise contracts with private cost information," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 449-465, March.
- Sina Henningsen & Rebecca Heuke & Michel Clement, 2011. "Determinants of Advertising Effectiveness: The Development of an International Advertising Elasticity Database and a Meta-Analysis," BuR - Business Research, German Academic Association for Business Research, vol. 4(2), pages 193-239, December.
- Schultz, Don E. & Block, Martin P., 2011. "How U.S. consumers view in-store promotions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 51-54, January.
- Ehrenberg, Andrew S. C. & Uncles, Mark D. & Goodhardt, Gerald J., 2004. "Understanding brand performance measures: using Dirichlet benchmarks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(12), pages 1307-1325, December.
- Hsiu-Yuan Tsao & Lucy M. Matthews & Victoria L. Crittenden, 2012. "Balancing Market Share Growth And Customer Profitability: Budget Allocation For Customer Acquisition And Retention," Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies, Faculty of Economics, Vilnius University, vol. 3(2).
- Reimer, Kerstin & Albers, Sönke, 2011. "Modeling Repeat Purchases in the Internet when RFM Captures Past Influence of Marketing," EconStor Preprints 50730, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.