Is size important for the investment-uncertainty relationship? : an empirical analyses for Dutch firms
AbstractAbstract By using data from a survey amongst a panel of Dutch firms we investigate whether the investment-uncertainty relationship depends on the size of the firm. We find that uncertainty has a positive effect on investment of small firms, whereas it is negative for large firms. There are probably two reasons for this outcome. First, both small and large Dutch firms do not seem to be financially constrained. Second, sunk costs are much higher for large than for small Dutch firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management) in its series Research Report with number 00E03.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2000-05-22 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2000-05-22 (Finance)
- NEP-IND-2000-05-22 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hartman, Richard, 1972. "The effects of price and cost uncertainty on investment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 258-266, October.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andres, 1993.
"Economic instability and aggregate investment,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1148, The World Bank.
- Robert S. Pindyck & Andrés Solimano, 1993. "Economic Instability and Aggregate Investment," NBER Chapters, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1993, Volume 8, pages 259-318 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert S. Pindyck & Andres Solimano, 1993. "Economic Instability and Aggregate Investment," NBER Working Papers 4380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andrés., 1993. "Economic instability and aggregate investment," Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management 3552-93., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Abel, Andrew B, 1983. "Optimal Investment under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 228-33, March.
- John V. Leahy & Toni M. Whited, 1995.
"The Effect of Uncertainty on Investment: Some Stylized Facts,"
NBER Working Papers
4986, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leahy, John V & Whited, Toni M, 1996. "The Effect of Uncertainty on Investment: Some Stylized Facts," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 64-83, February.
- Catherine Pattillo, 1998. "Investment, Uncertainty, and Irreversibility in Ghana," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(3), pages 522-553, September.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1990.
"Irreversibility, uncertainty, and investment,"
Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management
3137-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1991. "Irreversibility, Uncertainty, and Investment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 29(3), pages 1110-48, September.
- Peeters, Marga, 1997.
"Does demand and price uncertainty affect Belgian and Spanish corporate investment?,"
23604, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marga PEETERS, 2001. "Does Demand and Price Uncertainty affect Belgian and Spanish Corporate Investment?," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2001031, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- McDonald, Robert & Siegel, Daniel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-27, November.
- Ferderer, J Peter, 1993. "The Impact of Uncertainty on Aggregate Investment Spending: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 30-48, February.
- Simon Price, . "Aggregate uncertainty, investment and asymmetric adjustment in the UK manufacturing sector," Economics Discussion Papers, University of Essex, Department of Economics 441, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Mark J. Koetse & Henri L.F. de Groot & Raymond J.G.M. Florax, 2006. "The Impact of Uncertainty on Investment: A Meta-Analysis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers, Tinbergen Institute 06-060/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- K. Raabe & I. Arnold & C.J.M. Kool, 2006. "Firm size and monetary policy transmission : a theoretical model on the role of capital investment expenditures," Working Papers, Utrecht School of Economics 06-14, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Mark Koetse & Arno Vlist & Henri Groot, 2006. "The Impact of Perceived Expectations and Uncertainty on Firm Investment," Small Business Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 365-376, 05.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.