Dynamic models in space and time
AbstractThis paper presents a first-order autoregressive distributed lag model in both space and time. It is shown that this model encompasses a wide series of simpler models frequently used in the analysis of space-time data as well as models that better fit the data and have never been used before. A framework is developed to determine which model is the most likely candidate to study space-time data. As an application, the relationship between the labor force participation rate and the unemployment rate is estimated using regional data of Germany, France and the UK derived from Eurostat, 1983-1993.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management) in its series Research Report with number 00C16.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-07-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2000-07-27 (Econometrics)
- NEP-TID-2000-07-27 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1999. "A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 509-33, May.
- Florax, R. & Folmer, H., 1991.
"Specification and Estimation of Spatial Linear Regression Models: Monte Carlo Evaluation of Pre-Test Estimator,"
Mansholt Working Papers
1991-4, Wageningen University, Mansholt Graduate School of Social Sciences.
- Florax, Raymond & Folmer, Henk, 1992. "Specification and estimation of spatial linear regression models : Monte Carlo evaluation of pre-test estimators," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 405-432, September.
- Bronars, Stephen G. & Jansen, Dennis W., 1987. "The geographic distribution of unemployment rates in the U.S. : A spatial-time series analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 251-279, November.
- Clapp, John M & Rodriguez, Mauricio, 1999. "Erratum: Spatiotemporal Autoregressive Models of Neighborhood Effects," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 85, July.
- Pace, R Kelley, et al, 1998. "Spatiotemporal Autoregressive Models of Neighborhood Effects," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 15-33, July.
- Anselin, Luc & Hudak, Sheri, 1992. "Spatial econometrics in practice : A review of software options," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 509-536, September.
- Mizon, Grayham E., 1995. "A simple message for autocorrelation correctors: Don't," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 267-288, September.
- Blommestein, H.J. & Nijkamp, P., 1983. "Testing the spatial scale and the dynamic structure in regional models : a contribution to spatial econometric specification analysis," Serie Research Memoranda 0016, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Hendry, David F & Mizon, Grayham E, 1978. "Serial Correlation as a Convenient Simplification, not a Nuisance: A Comment on a Study of the Demand for Money by the Bank of England," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(351), pages 549-63, September.
- P Burridge, 1981. "Testing for a common factor in a spatial autoregression model," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 13(7), pages 795-800, July.
- Breusch, Trevor S & Wickens, Michael R, 1987. "Dynamic Specification, the Long Run and the Estimation of Transformed Regression Models," CEPR Discussion Papers 154, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1998. "A Generalized Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 99-121, July.
- Kamarianakis, Yiannis & Prastacos, Poulicos, 2002. "Space-time modeling of traffic flow," ERSA conference papers ersa02p141, European Regional Science Association.
- Reinhard Hujer & Paulo J.M. Rodrigues & Katja Wolf, 2008. "Dynamic Panel Data Models with Spatial Correlation," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 228(5+6), pages 612-629, December.
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Christian Dreger, 2006.
"Thresholds for employment and unemployment: A spatial analysis of German regional labour markets, 1992-2000,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(4), pages 523-542, November.
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Christian Dreger, 2005. "Thresholds for Employment and Unemployment - a Spatial Analysis of German Regional Labour Markets 1992-2000," ERSA conference papers ersa05p39, European Regional Science Association.
- Raffaella Giacomini & Clive W.J. Granger, 2002.
"Aggregation of Space-Time Processes,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
582, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Giacomini, Raffaella & Granger, Clive W.J., 2001. "Aggregationn of Space-Time Processes," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt77f76455, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Elhorst, J. Paul, 2008. "Serial and spatial error correlation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 422-424, September.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood : Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 247-267, November.
- Vicente Royuela & Gustavo Adolfo García, 2010. "Economic and social convergence in Colombia," IREA Working Papers 201014, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Sep 2010.
- Tangian, Andranik S., 2005. "Composite indicator of German regional policy and its use for optimizing subsidies to regional labour markets," WSI Discussion Papers 138, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut (WSI), Hans-Böckler-Stiftung.
- Mark V. JANIKAS & Sergio J. REY, 2008. "On The Relationships Between Spatial Clustering, Inequality, And Economic Growth In The United States : 1969-2000," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 27, pages 13-34.
- Giuseppe Arbia & Gianfranco Piras, 2005.
"Convergence in per-capita GDP across European regions using panel data models extended to spatial autocorrelation effects,"
ISAE Working Papers
51, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Giuseppe Arbia & Gianfranco Piras, 2004. "Convergence in per-capita GDP across European regions using panel data models extended to spatial autocorrelation effects," ERSA conference papers ersa04p524, European Regional Science Association.
- repec:asg:wpaper:1013 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daniel Griffith, 2010. "Modeling spatio-temporal relationships: retrospect and prospect," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 111-123, June.
- Lambert, Dayton M. & Griffin, Terry W., 2004. "Analysis Of Government Farm Subsidies On Farmland Cash Rental Rates Using A Fixed Effect Spatial Distributed Lag Model And A Translog Cost Model," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19977, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Elhorst, J. Paul, 2003. "Unconditional maximum likelihood estimation of dynamic models for spatial panels," Research Report 03C27, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp, 2005. "Forecasting Regional Labour Market Developments Under Spatial Heterogeneity and Spatial Autocorrelation," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-041/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Longhi, Simonetta & Nijkamp, Peter, 2006. "Forecasting regional labor market developments under spatial heterogeneity and spatial correlation," Serie Research Memoranda 0015, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- J.Paul Elhorst, 2005. "Models for Dynamic Panels in Space and Time - an Application to Regional Unemployment in the EU," ERSA conference papers ersa05p81, European Regional Science Association.
- Ohtsuka, Yoshihiro & Oga, Takashi & Kakamu, Kazuhiko, 2010. "Forecasting electricity demand in Japan: A Bayesian spatial autoregressive ARMA approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(11), pages 2721-2735, November.
- López-Hernández, Fernando A. & Chasco, Coro, 2007. "TIME-TREND IN SPATIAL DEPENDENCE: SPECIFICATION STRATEGY IN THE FIRST-ORDER SPATIAL AUTOREGRESSIVE MODEL/Tendencia temporal en la dependencia espacial: estrategia de modelización en el modelo autorre," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 25, pages 631-650, Abril.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.