Zambian manufacturing performance in comparative perspective
AbstractThis paper presents an analysis of Zambian manufacturing performance since 1964. It presents new estimates of labour productivity growth and total factor productivity growth. After a period of growth and labour productivity improvement till 1974, Zambian manufacturing suffered from increasing inefficiencies in an import substituting and interventionist environment. Growth of output slowed down, labour productivity and investment declined, though TFP showed some fluctuation. In the period of liberalisation between 1991-95, output shrank dramatically, TFP collapsed and labour productivity continued to decline. After 1995 indicators of performance point to a modest recovery. Following an industry-of-origin approach to international comparisons, the Zambian estimates are placed in comparative perspective in a binary comparison with the USA. In 1990, labour productivity in Zambia stood at 5.9 percent of the US level, while relative total factor productivity stood at 16.7 percent. Over time comparative labour productivity has been declining, indicating an increasing technology gap relative to the world frontier. By 1998, comparative labour productivity stood at 3.2 percent of the US level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen in its series GGDC Research Memorandum with number 200253.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Yamfwa, F. & Szirmai, A.S. & Chibwe Lamba, 2002. "Zambian Manufacturing Performance in Comparative Perspective," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 02.21, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timmer, Marcel P., 1996. "On the Reliability of Unit Value Ratios in International Comparisons," GGDC Research Memorandum 199631, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Maddison, Angus, 1994. "Standardised Estimates of Fixed Capital Stock: A Six Country Comparison," GGDC Research Memorandum 199409, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Dhaneshwar Ghura & Anupam Basu & Evangelos A. Calamitsis, 1999. "Adjustment and Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 99/51, International Monetary Fund.
- Jan Willem Gunning & Paul Collier, 1999.
"Explaining African Economic Performance,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 37(1), pages 64-111, March.
- Paul Collier & Jan Willem Gunning, 1998. "Explaining African economic performance," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/1997-02.2, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Paul Collier & Jan Willem Gunning, 1997. "Explaining African economic performance," CSAE Working Paper Series 1997-02.2, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- van Ark, Bart & Maddison, Angus, 1988. "Comparisons of real output in manufacturing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5, The World Bank.
- Maddison, Angus & Ark, Bart van, 1994. "The international comparison of real product and productivity," GGDC Research Memorandum 199406, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Timmer, Marcel P., 1999.
"Climbing the Technology Ladder Too Fast? An International Comparison of Productivity in South and East- Asian Manufacturing, 1963-1993,"
Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series
99.2, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Timmer, Marcel P., 1999. "Climbing the technology ladder too fast? : an international comparison of productivity in South and East-Asian manufacturing, 1963-1993," CCSO Working Papers 199919, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Lim, A., 2003. "Inter-firm Alliances during Pre-standardization in ICT," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 03.03, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Keizer, J.A. & Vos, J.P., 2003. "Diagnosing risks in new product development," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 03.11, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Szirmai, Adam, 2012. "Proximate, intermediate and ultimate causality: Theories and experiences of growth and development," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 032, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.