Demand for money and shortages in Ethiopia
AbstractThe paper discusses the long-run monetary conditions in Ethiopia in the last three decades. These decades can be characterized by large political changes, leading to shocks on income and population growth, and two serious periods of drought. Both affected inflation and real demand for M1 through shortages of food. Shortage due to drops in rainfall might have long-run monetary consequences. Despite regime shifts we find support for stability of Ethiopian narrow money demand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Groningen, Centre for Development Studies (CDS) in its series CDS Research Reports with number 199909.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Dercon & Lulseged Ayalew, 1995.
"Smuggling and supply response: coffee in Ethiopia,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1995-05, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- repec:fth:oxesaf:95-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gary G. Moser, 1994. "The Main Determinants of Inflation in Nigeria," IMF Working Papers 94/76, International Monetary Fund.
- Bennett T. McCallum & Marvin S. Goodfriend, 1986.
"Theoretical analysis of the demand for money,"
86-03, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Bennett T. McCallum & Marvin S. Goodfriend, 1987. "Money: Theoretical Analysis of the Demand for Money," NBER Working Papers 2157, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Quintos, Carmela E & Phillips, Peter C B, 1993. "Parameter Constancy in Cointegrating Regressions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 675-706.
- Durevall, Dick & Loening, Josef L. & Birru, Yohannes A., 2010.
"Inflation Dynamics and Food Prices in Ethiopia,"
Working Papers in Economics
478, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics, revised 03 Jun 2013.
- Kumar, Saten & Webber, Don J. & Fargher, Scott, 2010.
"Money demand stability: A case study of Nigeria,"
26074, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saten Kumar & Don J. Webber & Scott Fargher, 2010. "Money demand stability: A case study of Nigeria," Working Papers 1015, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Saten Kumar & Don J. Webber & Scott Fargher, 2011. "Money demand stability: A case study of Nigeria," Working Papers 2011-02, Auckland University of Technology, Department of Economics.
- Loening, Josef L. & Durevall, Dick & Birru, Yohannes A., 2009.
"Inflation dynamics and food prices in an agricultural economy : the case of Ethiopia,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4969, The World Bank.
- Loening, Josef L. & Durevall, Dick & Ayalew Birru, Yohannes, 2009. "Inflation Dynamics and Food Prices in an Agricultural Economy: The Case of Ethiopia," Working Papers in Economics 347, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.