On information in static and dynamic factor models
AbstractThis paper employs concepts from information theory in factor models. We show that in the exact factor model the whole distribution of eigenvalues of the covariance matrix contributes to the information and not only the largest ones. In addition, we derive the condition that the first q say eigenvalues diverge whereas the rest remain bounded in the static model rather than having to assume it. Finally, we calculate information in static and dynamic factor models, which can be used to find the dimensions of the factor space. We illustrate the concepts with simulation experiments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research in its series CCSO Working Papers with number 200605.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2006-11-04 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ICT-2006-11-04 (Information & Communication Technologies)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gonzalo Camba-Mendez & George Kapetanios & Richard J. Smith & Martin Weale, 1999.
"An Automatic Leading Indicator of Economic Activity: Forecasting GDP growth for European Countries,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
149, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Gonzalo Camba-Mendez & George Kapetanios & Richard J. Smith & Martin R. Weale, 2001. "An automatic leading indicator of economic activity: forecasting GDP growth for European countries," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(1), pages 37.
- Jan P.A.M. Jacobs & Pieter W. Otter & Ard H.J. den Reijer, 2011.
"Information, data dimension and factor structure,"
CAMA Working Papers
2011-15, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joke Bulthuis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.