Private labels (Own Brands) in the Grocery Sector: Competition Concerns and Treatment in EU Competition Law
AbstractThe goal of this paper is to give a comprehensive overview of the competition law issues that might arise in the context of private labels. The paper is divided into two parts: first, it contextualizes the claims related to the welfare effects of the introduction and continued presence of private labels. It shows that private labels may lead to a reduction in consumer welfare and discusses the practices and conditions that might lead to this negative outcome. The second part of the paper sketches the applicable legal framework under EU competition law as it may apply to the practices mentioned. The paper concludes with a discussion of the challenges for the effective treatment of harm arising from the retailer practices associated with private labels.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center in its series Discussion Paper with number 2012-002.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tilburguniversity.nl/tilec/
private labels; own brands; supermarkets; EU competition law; foreclosure; intellectual property; buyer power.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K20 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - General
- K21 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Antitrust Law
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L42 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Vertical Restraints; Resale Price Maintenance; Quantity Discounts
- L66 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Food; Beverages; Cosmetics; Tobacco
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.