Entry and Competition in Differentiated Products Markets
AbstractWe propose a methodology for estimating the competition effects from entry when firms sell differentiated products. We first derive precise conditions under which Bresnahan and Reissâentry threshold ratios (ETRs) can be used to test for the presence and to measure the magnitude of competition effects. We then show how to augment the traditional entry model with a revenue equation. This revenue equation serves to adjust the ETRs by the extent of market expansion from entry, and leads to unbiased estimates of the competition effects from entry. We apply our approach to seven different local service sectors. We find that entry typically leads to significant market expansion, implying that traditional ETRs may substantially underestimate the competition effects from entry. In most sectors, the second entrant reduces markups by at least 30%, whereas the third or subsequent entrants have smaller or insignificant effects. In one sector, we find that even the second entrant does not reduce markups, consistent with a recent decision by the competition authority.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center in its series Discussion Paper with number 2011-025.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/research/institutes-and-research-groups/center-ar/
Other versions of this item:
- Schaumans, C.B.C. & Verboven, F.L., 2011. "Entry and Competition in Differentiated Products Markets," Discussion Paper 2011-049, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Schaumans, Catherine & Verboven, Frank, 2011. "Entry and Competition in Differentiated Products Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 8353, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Catherine SCHAUMANS & Frank VERBOVEN, 2011. "Entry and competition in differentiated products markets," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces11.23, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- K21 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Antitrust Law
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catherine Schaumans & Frank Verboven, 2008.
"Entry and regulation: evidence from health care professions,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 39(4), pages 949-972.
- Schaumans, Catherine & Verboven, Frank, 2006. "Entry and Regulation - Evidence from Health Care Professions," CEPR Discussion Papers 5482, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ackerberg, Daniel & Lanier Benkard, C. & Berry, Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 2007. "Econometric Tools for Analyzing Market Outcomes," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 63 Elsevier.
- Jan De Loecker & Frederic Warzynski, 2009.
"Markups and firm-level export status,"
NBER Working Papers
15198, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Loecker, Jan & Warzynski, Frederic, 2009. "Markups and Firm-level Export Status," CEPR Discussion Papers 7450, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De Locker, Jan & Warzynski, Frederic, 2009. "Markups and Firm-Level Export Status," Working Papers 09-4, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Asplund, Marcus & Sandin, Rickard, 1999. "The Number of Firms and Production Capacity in Relation to Market Size," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 69-85, March.
- Martin Lábaj & Peter Silaniè & Christoph Weiss, 2013. "Entry and Competition in a Transition Economy: The Case of Slovakia," Department of Economic Policy Working Paper Series 003, Department of Economic Policy, Faculty of National Economy, University of Economics in Bratislava.
- Nikogosian, Vigen & Weigand, Jürgen, 2012. "Forward integration and market entry: Evidence from natural gas markets for household customers in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-062, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Richard Broekman to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.