The effect of competition on process and outcome quality within hospital care in The Netherlands
AbstractThis study examines the impact of competition on hospital quality. Our panel covers all Dutch hospitals in the period 2004–2008, in which the transparency of hospital quality information increased substantially. The paper contributes to the existing literature by including both outcome and process indicators of quality. We find that competition explains the cross-sectional differences in process indicators, but not in outcome indicators. In particular, more competition in the hospital’s catchment area leads to more operation cancellations at short notice and more delays of hip fracture injury operations for elderly patients. Both results suggest that competition increases the utilization of operation capacity. At the same time, hospitals that face more competition perform check-ups for chronic patients more frequently and organize diagnostic processes more efficiently.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center in its series Discussion Paper with number 2011-002.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tilburguniversity.nl/tilec/
competition in healthcare; quality; voluntary disclosure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lapo Filistrucchi & Fatih Cemil Ozbugday, 2012.
"Mandatory Quality Disclosure and Quality Supply: Evidence from German Hospitals,"
Working Papers - Economics
wp2012_16.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Filistrucchi, L. & Ozbugday, F.C., 2012. "Mandatory Quality Disclosure and Quality Supply: Evidence from German Hospitals," Discussion Paper 2012-070, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Filistrucchi, L. & Ozbugday, F.C., 2012. "Mandatory Quality Disclosure and Quality Supply: Evidence from German Hospitals," Discussion Paper 2012-031, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Alfons Palangkaraya & Jongsay Yong, 2013. "Effects of competition on hospital quality: an examination using hospital administrative data," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 415-429, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Richard Broekman to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.