Leveraged Buyouts in the U.K. and Continental Europe: Retrospect and Prospect
AbstractThe markets for management buyouts in the U.K. and continental Europe have experienced dramatic growth in the past ten years. In the U.K., buyouts accounted for half of the total M&A activity (measured by value) in 2005. And as in the U.S. during the'80s, the greatest number of U.K. buyouts in recent years have been management- and investor-led acquisitions of divisions of large corporations. In continental Europe, by contrast, the largest fraction of deals has involved the purchase of family-owned private businesses. But in recent years, increased pressure for shareholder value in countries like France, Netherlands, and even Germany has led to a growing number of buyouts of divisions of listed companies. Like the U.K., continental Europe has also seen a small but growing number of purchases of entire public companies (known as private-to-public transactions, or PTPs), including the largest ever buyout in Europe, the â¬13 billion purchase this year of the Danish corporation TDC. 2006 Morgan Stanley.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center in its series Discussion Paper with number 2006-022.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/research/institutes-and-research-groups/center-ar/
Other versions of this item:
- Mike Wright & Luc Renneboog & Tomas Simons & Louise Scholes, 2006. "Leveraged Buyouts in the U.K. and Continental Europe: Retrospect and Prospect," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 18(3), pages 38-55.
- Wright, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Simons, T. & Scholes, L., 2006. "Leveraged Buyouts in the U.K. and Continental Europe: Retrospect and Prospect," Discussion Paper 2006-70, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. V. Harlow & John S. Howe, 1993. "Leveraged Buyouts and Insider Nontrading," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 22(1), Spring.
- Vives,Xavier (ed.), 2006. "Corporate Governance," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521032032.
- Ranko Jelic & Brahim Saadouni & Mike Wright, 2005. "Performance of Private to Public MBOs: The Role of Venture Capital," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3-4), pages 643-682.
- Easterwood, John C, et al, 1994. "Controlling the Conflict of Interest in Management Buyouts," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(3), pages 512-22, August.
- Van de Gucht, Linda M. & Moore, William T., 1998. "Predicting the duration and reversal probability of leveraged buyouts," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 299-315, October.
- David Citron & Mike Wright & Rod Ball & Fred Rippington, 2003. "Secured Creditor Recovery Rates from Management Buy-outs in Distress," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 9(2), pages 141-161.
- Lehn, Kenneth & Poulsen, Annette, 1989. " Free Cash Flow and Stockholder Gains in Going Private Transactions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 771-87, July.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1994.
"The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, And The Failure Of Internal Control Systems,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 6(4), pages 4-23.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1993. " The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 831-80, July.
- Michael C. Jensen, 2010. "The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 22(1), pages 43-58.
- Lee, D Scott, 1992. " Management Buyout Proposals and Inside Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1061-79, July.
- Kaplan, Steven, 1989. "The effects of management buyouts on operating performance and value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 217-254.
- Nikoskelainen, Erkki & Wright, Mike, 2007. "The impact of corporate governance mechanisms on value increase in leveraged buyouts," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 511-537, September.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda & Rice, Edward M, 1984. "Going Private: Minority Freezeouts and Stockholder Wealth," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 367-401, October.
- Charlie Weir & David Laing & Mike Wright, 2005. "Incentive Effects, Monitoring Mechanisms and the Market for Corporate Control: An Analysis of the Factors Affecting Public to Private Transactions in the UK," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(5-6), pages 909-943.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Simons, T. & Wright, M., 2005.
"Leveraged Public to Private Transactions in the UK,"
2005-60, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Simons, T. & Wright, M., 2005. "Leveraged Public to Private Transactions in the UK," Discussion Paper 2005-015, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Chun I. Lee & Stuart Rosenstein & Nanda Rangan & Wallace N. Davidson III, 1992. "Board Composition and Shareholder Wealth: The Case of Management Buyouts," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 21(1), Spring.
- C. Weir & D. Laing & M. Wright, 2005. "Undervaluation, private information, agency costs and the decision to go private," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(13), pages 947-961.
- Marais, Laurentius & Schipper, Katherine & Smith, Abbie, 1989. "Wealth effects of going private for senior securities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 155-191, June.
- Olivier MEIER & Aurélie SANNAJUST, 2014. "Public to Private transactions and cognitive biases: A European study," Working Papers 2014-345, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Goossens, L. & Manigart, S. & Meuleman, M., 2007.
"The change of ownership after a buyout: Impact on performance,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2007-26, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- L. Goossens & S. Manigart & M. Meuleman, 2007. "The Change In Ownership After A Buyout: Impact On Performance," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/484, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Cumming, Douglas & Zambelli, Simona, 2010. "Illegal buyouts," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 441-456, February.
- Dirk Engel & Joel Stiebale, 2009. "Private Equity, Investment and Financial Constraints – Firm-Level Evidence for France and the United Kingdom," Ruhr Economic Papers 0126, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Dirk Engel & Joel Stiebale, 2014. "Private equity, investment and financial constraints: firm-level evidence for France and the United Kingdom," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 197-212, June.
- Neil Conway & Simon Deakin & Suzzanne J. Konzelmann & Héloïse Petit & Antoine Rebérioux & Frank Wilkinson, 2008. "The Influence of Stock Market Listing on Human Resource Managment: Evidence for France and Britain," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp366, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Richard Broekman to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.