Distance to Cannabis-Shops and Age of Onset of Cannabis Use
AbstractAbstract: In the Netherlands cannabis use is quasi-legalized. Small quantities of cannabis can be bought in cannabis-shops. We investigate how the distance to the nearest cannabis- shop affects the age of onset of cannabis use. We use a Mixed Proportional Hazard rate framework to take account of observable as well as unobservable characteristics that in uence the uptake of cannabis. We find that distance matters. Individuals who grow up within 20 kilometers of a cannabis-shop have a lower age of onset.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2013-048.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
cannabis use; coffeeshops; drugs policy;
Other versions of this item:
- Palali, Ali & van Ours, Jan C, 2013. "Distance to cannabis-shops and age of onset of cannabis use," CEPR Discussion Papers 9632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Ours, Jan C. & Williams, Jenny, 2007.
"Cannabis prices and dynamics of cannabis use,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 578-596, May.
- Ours, J.C. van & Williams, J., 2005. "Cannabis Prices and Dynamics of Cannabis Use," Discussion Paper 2005-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- van Ours, Jan C & Williams, Jenny, 2005. "Cannabis Prices and Dynamics of Cannabis Use," CEPR Discussion Papers 4991, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- D. Mark Anderson & Benjamin Hansen & Daniel I. Rees, 2014.
"Medical Marijuana Laws and Teen Marijuana Use,"
NBER Working Papers
20332, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- van Ours, Jan C. & Williams, Jenny & Fergusson, David & Horwood, L. John, 2013. "Cannabis use and suicidal ideation," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 524-537.
- Jan C. van Ours, 2006.
"Cannabis, cocaine and jobs,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(7), pages 897-917.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.