Asymptotically UMP Panel Unit Root Tests
AbstractAbstract This paper considers optimal unit root tests for a Gaussian cross-sectionally independent heterogeneous panel with incidental intercepts and heterogeneous alternatives generated by random perturbations. We derive the (asymptotic and local) power envelope for two models: an auxiliary model where both the panel units and the random perturbations are observed, and the second one, the model of main interest, for which only the panel units are observed. We show that both models are Locally Asymptotically Normal (LAN). It turns out that there is an information loss: the power envelope for the auxiliary model is above the envelope for the model of main interest. Equality only holds if the alternatives are homogeneous. Our results exactly identify in which setting the unit root test of Moon, Perron, and Phillips (2007) is asymptotically UMP and, in fact, they show it is not possible to exploit possible heterogeneity in the alternatives, confirming a conjecture of Breitung and Pesaran (2008). Moreover, we propose a new asymptotically optimal test and we extend the results to a model allowing for cross-sectional dependence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2013-017.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
panel unit root test; Local Asymptotic Normality; limit experiment; asymptotic power envelope; information loss;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-03-30 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2013-03-30 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2005.
"Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests,"
IEPR Working Papers
05.38, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Moon, Hyungsik Roger & Perron, Benoit & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2007. "Incidental trends and the power of panel unit root tests," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 416-459, December.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2003. "Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1435, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron, 2004. "Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm414, Yale School of Management.
- Marc Hallin & Ramon van den Akker & Bas J.M. Werker, 2011.
"A class of simple distribution-free rank-based unit root tests,"
- Hallin, Marc & van den Akker, Ramon & Werker, Bas J.M., 2011. "A class of simple distribution-free rank-based unit root tests," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 163(2), pages 200-214, August.
- David Harris & David I. Harvey & Stephen J. Leybourne & Nikoloas D. Sakkas, 2008.
"Local asymptotic power of the Im-Pesaran-Shin panel unit root test and the impact of initial observations,"
08/02, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Harris, David & Harvey, David I. & Leybourne, Stephen J. & Sakkas, Nikolaos D., 2010. "Local Asymptotic Power Of The Im-Pesaran-Shin Panel Unit Root Test And The Impact Of Initial Observations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 311-324, February.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999.
"Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1222, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999. "Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1057-1112, September.
- MOON, Hyungsik Roger & PERRON, Benoit., 2002.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Panels with Dynamic Factors,"
Cahiers de recherche
2002-18, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Moon, H.R.Hyungsik Roger & Perron, Benoit, 2004. "Testing for a unit root in panels with dynamic factors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 81-126, September.
- Banerjee, Anindya, 1999. " Panel Data Unit Roots and Cointegration: An Overview," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 607-29, Special I.
- Jörg Breitung & Samarjit Das, 2005.
"Panel unit root tests under cross-sectional dependence,"
Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 59(4), pages 414-433.
- Samarjit Das & Joerg Breitung, 2004. "Panel Unit Root Tests under Cross- sectional Dependence," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 55, Econometric Society.
- Michael Jansson, 2008.
"Semiparametric Power Envelopes for Tests of the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 76(5), pages 1103-1142, 09.
- Michael Jansson, 2007. "Semiparametric Power Envelopes for Tests of the Unit Root Hypothesis," CREATES Research Papers 2007-12, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Drost, F.C. & Akker, R. van den & Werker, B.J.M., 2009. "The asymptotic structure of nearly unstable non negative integer-valued AR(1) models," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3106433, Tilburg University.
- Vaart,A. W. van der, 2000. "Asymptotic Statistics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521784504, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.