Deriving Robust Counterparts of Nonlinear Uncertain Inequalities
AbstractAbstract: In this paper we provide a systematic way to construct the robust counterpart of a nonlinear uncertain inequality that is concave in the uncertain parameters. We use convex analysis (support functions, conjugate functions, Fenchel duality) and conic duality in order to convert the robust counterpart into an explicit and computationally tractable set of constraints. It turns out that to do so one has to calculate the support function of the uncertainty set and the concave conjugate of the nonlinear constraint function. Conveniently, these two computations are completely independent. This approach has several advantages. First, it provides an easy structured way to construct the robust counterpart both for linear and nonlinear inequalities. Second, it shows that for new classes of uncertainty regions and for new classes of nonlinear optimization problems tractable counterparts can be derived. We also study some cases where the inequality is nonconcave in the uncertain parameters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2012-053.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
Fenchel duality; robust counterpart; nonlinear inequality; robust optimization; support functions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben-Tal, A. & Hertog, D. den & Laurent, M., 2011. "Hidden Convexity in Partially Separable Optimization," Discussion Paper 2011-070, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ben-Tal, A. & Hertog, D. den & De Waegenaere, A.M.B. & Melenberg, B. & Rennen, G., 2011.
"Robust Solutions of Optimization Problems Affected by Uncertain Probabilities,"
2011-061, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Aharon Ben-Tal & Dick den Hertog & Anja De Waegenaere & Bertrand Melenberg & Gijs Rennen, 2013. "Robust Solutions of Optimization Problems Affected by Uncertain Probabilities," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 59(2), pages 341-357, April.
- Ben-Tal, A. & Hertog, D. den, 2011. "Immunizing Conic Quadratic Optimization Problems Against Implementation Errors," Discussion Paper 2011-060, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gorissen, Bram L. & den Hertog, Dick, 2013. "Robust counterparts of inequalities containing sums of maxima of linear functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 227(1), pages 30-43.
- Yanikoglu, I. & Hertog, D. den & Kleijnen, Jack P.C., 2013. "Adjustable Robust Parameter Design with Unknown Distributions," Discussion Paper 2013-022, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gorissen, B.L. & Ben-Tal, A. & Blanc, J.P.C. & Hertog, D. den, 2012. "A New Method for Deriving Robust and Globalized Robust Solutions of Uncertain Linear Conic Optimization Problems Having General Convex Uncertainty Sets," Discussion Paper 2012-076, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.