A Simulation Study of an ASEAN Monetary Union (Replaces CentER DP 2010-100)
AbstractThis paper analyzes some pros and cons of a monetary union for the ASEAN1 countries, excluding Myanmar. We estimate a stylized open-economy dynamic general equilibrium model for the ASEAN countries. Using the framework of linear quadratic differential games, we contrast the potential gains or losses for these countries due to economic shocks, in case they maintain their status-quo, they coordinate their monetary and/or fiscal policies, or form a monetary union. Assuming for all players open-loop information, we conclude that there are substantial gains from cooperation of monetary authorities. We also find that whether a monetary union improves upon monetary cooperation depends on the type of shocks and the extent of fiscal policy cooperation. Results are based both on a theoretical study of the structure of the estimated model and a simulation study.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2011-098.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
ASEAN economic integration; monetary union; linear quadratic differential games; open-loop information structure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- C73 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Stochastic and Dynamic Games; Evolutionary Games
- E17 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E61 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
- F47 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2011-09-16 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2011-09-16 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2011-09-16 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2011-09-16 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roel Beetsma & Xavier Debrun & Frank Klaassen, 2001.
"Is Fiscal Policy Coordination in EMU Desirable?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
599, CESifo Group Munich.
- Roel Beetsma & Xavier Debrun & Franc Klaassen, 2001. "Is Fiscal Policy Coordination in EMU Desirable?," IHEID Working Papers 04-2001, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Roel M. W. J. Beetsma & Xavier Debrun & Franc Klaassen, 2001. "Is Fiscal Policy Coordination in EMU Desirable?," IMF Working Papers 01/178, International Monetary Fund.
- Beetsma, Roel & Debrun, Xavier & Klaassen, Franc, 2001. "Is Fiscal Policy Coordination in EMU Desirable?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3035, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Xavier Debrun & Paul Masson & Catherine Pattillo, 2005. "Monetary union in West Africa: who might gain, who might lose, and why?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(2), pages 454-481, May.
- Kiyotaka Sato & Zhaoyong Zhang, 2006. "Real Output Co-movements in East Asia: Any Evidence for a Monetary Union?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(12), pages 1671-1689, December.
- Hadi Soesastro, 2005.
"Accelerating ASEAN Economic Integration - Moving Beyond AFTA,"
Trade Working Papers
22034, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hadi Soesastro, 2005. "Accelerating ASEAN economic integration: Moving beyond AFTA," CSIS Economics Working Paper Series WPE091, Centre for Strategic and International Studies, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Reinhard Neck & Engelbert Dockner, 1995. "Commitment and coordination in a dynamic game model of international economic policy-making," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 5-28, January.
- Engwerda, J.C., 2008. "Uniqueness conditions for the affine open-loop linear quadratic differential games," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-364998, Tilburg University.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1997.
"The science of monetary policy: A new Keynesian perspective,"
Economics Working Papers
356, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 1999.
- Mark Gertler & Jordi Gali & Richard Clarida, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," NBER Working Papers 7147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 2139, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph Plasmans & William Verkooijen & Hennie Daniels, 1998. "Estimating structural exchange rate models by artificial neural networks," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(5), pages 541-551.
- Dixit, Avinash & Lambertini, Luisa, 2001. "Monetary-fiscal policy interactions and commitment versus discretion in a monetary union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 977-987, May.
- Hughes Hallett, A J & Ma, Yue, 1996. "Changing Partners: The Importance of Coordinating Fiscal and Monetary Policies within a Monetary Union," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 64(2), pages 115-34, June.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry & Mauro, Paolo, 2000.
"On Regional Monetary Arrangements For ASEAN,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2411, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry & Mauro, Paolo, 2000. "On Regional Monetary Arrangements for ASEAN," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 121-148, June.
- Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2001.
"Optimal Monetary Policy in a Currency Area,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2755, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alejandro Justiniano & Bruce Preston, 2009.
"Monetary policy and uncertainty in an empirical small open economy model,"
Working Paper Series
WP-09-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Alejandro Justiniano & Bruce Preston, 2010. "Monetary policy and uncertainty in an empirical small open-economy model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(1), pages 93-128.
- Arief Ramayandi, 2005.
"ASEAN Monetary Cooperation : Issues and Prospects,"
Finance Working Papers
22028, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Plummer, Michael G., 2006. "An ASEAN customs union?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 923-938, November.
- Levine, Paul & Brociner, Andrew, 1994.
"Fiscal policy coordination and EMU : A dynamic game approach,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3-4), pages 699-729.
- Brociner, Andrew & Levine, Paul L, 1992. "Fiscal Policy Coordination and EMU: A Dynamic Game Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 639, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hank Giokhay Lim & Kester TAY Yi-Xun, 2008. "Regional Integration and Inclusive Development: Lessons from ASEAN Experience," Working Papers 5908, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Tomasz Michalak & Jacob Engwerda & Joseph Plasmans, 2009. "Strategic Interactions between Fiscal and Monetary Authorities in a Multi-Country New-Keynesian Model of a Monetary Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 2534, CESifo Group Munich.
- Coenen, Günter & Lombardo, Giovanni & Smets, Frank & Straub, Roland, 2008.
"International transmission and monetary policy cooperation,"
Working Paper Series
0858, European Central Bank.
- Günter Coenen & Giovanni Lombardo & Frank Smets & Roland Straub, 2007. "International Transmission and Monetary Policy Cooperation," NBER Chapters, in: International Dimensions of Monetary Policy, pages 157-192 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul De Grauwe & Isabel Vansteenkiste, 2007.
"Exchange rates and fundamentals: a non-linear relationship?,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 37-54.
- P. de Grauwe & I. Vansteenkiste, 2003. "Exchange Rates and Fundamentals a Non-Linear Relationship?," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 78, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Paul De Grauwe & Isabel Vansteenkiste, 2001. "Exchange Rates and fundamentals - a Non-Linear Relationship?," CESifo Working Paper Series 577, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kuo-Chun Yeh, 2009. "Will Taiwan's Economy be Marginalized by China? A Macro-economic Policy Coordination Approach," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(1), pages 77-99.
- André Sapir & Marco Buti, 1998. "Economic policy in EMU," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8078, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Joseph Plasmans & Tomasz Michalak & Jorge Fornero, 2006. "Simulation, estimation and welfare implications of monetary policies in a 3-country NOEM model," Working Paper Research 94, National Bank of Belgium.
- Park, Innwon & Park, Soonchan, 2008.
"Free Trade Agreements versus Customs Unions: An Examination of East Asia,"
11301, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Innwon Park & Soonchan Park, 2009. "Free Trade Agreements versus Customs Unions: An Examination of East Asia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 8(2), pages 119-139, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.