A Class of Simple Distribution-free Rank-based Unit Root Tests (Revision of DP 2010-72)
AbstractWe propose a class of distribution-free rank-based tests for the null hypothesis of a unit root. This class is indexed by the choice of a reference density g, which needs not coincide with the unknown actual innovation density f. The validity of these tests, in terms of exact finite sample size, is guaranteed, irrespective of the actual underlying density, by distribution-freeness. Those tests are locally and asymptotically optimal under a particular asymptotic scheme, for which we provide a complete analysis of asymptotic relative efficiencies. Rather than asymptotic optimality, however, we emphasize finitesample performances. Finite-sample performances of unit root tests, however, depend quite heavily on initial values. We therefore investigate those performances as a function of initial values. It appears that our rank-based tests significantly outperform the traditional Dickey-Fuller tests, as well as the more recent procedures proposed by Elliot, Rothenberg, and Stock (1996), Ng and Perron (2001), and Elliott and M¨uller (2006), for a broad range of initial values and for heavy-tailed innovation densities. As such, they provide a useful complement to existing techniques.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2011-002.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
Unit root; Dickey-Fuller test; Local Asymptotic Normality; Rank test;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2011-04-09 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2011-04-09 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- José Angel Roldán Casas & Rafaela Dios-Palomares, 2004. "A Strategy for Testing the Unit Root in AR(1) Model with Intercept. A Monte Carlo Experiment," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/37, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.