Competition, Efficiency, and Soundness in Banking: An Industrial Organization Perspective
AbstractHow can competition enhance bank soundness? Does competition improve soundness via the efficiency channel? Do banks heterogeneously respond to competition? To answer these questions, we exploit an innovative measure of competition [Boone, J., A new way to measure competition, EconJnl, Vol. 118, pp. 1245-1261] that captures the reallocation of profits from inefficient banks to their efficient counterparts. Based on two complementary datasets for Europe and the U.S., we first establish that the new competition indicator captures a broad variety of other characteristics of competition in a consistent manner. Second, we verify that competition increases efficiency. Third, we present novel evidence that efficiency is the conduit through which competition contributes to bank soundness. In a final examination of banks’ heterogeneous responses to competition, we find that smaller banks’ soundness measures respond more strongly to competition than larger banks’ soundness measures, and two-stage quantile regressions indicate that the soundness-enhancing effect of competition is larger in magnitude for sound banks than for fragile banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2010-68S.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
bank competition; efficiency; soundness; Boone indicator; quantile regression;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-08-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-08-21 (Banking)
- NEP-BEC-2010-08-21 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CFN-2010-08-21 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-COM-2010-08-21 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2010-08-21 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2010-08-21 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-REG-2010-08-21 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Boone, 2008.
"A New Way to Measure Competition,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(531), pages 1245-1261, 08.
- Boone, J., 2004. "A New Way to Measure Competition," Discussion Paper 2004-004, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Boone, J., 2004. "A New Way to Measure Competition," Discussion Paper 2004-31, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Boone, Jan, 2004. "A New Way to Measure Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 4330, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kick, Thomas & Prieto, Esteban, 2013.
"Bank risk taking and competition: Evidence from regional banking markets,"
30/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Kick, Thomas & Prieto, Esteban, 2013. "Bank Risk Taking and Competition: Evidence from Regional Banking Markets," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79919, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Olszak, Małgorzata & Pipień, Mateusz & Kowalska, Iwona & Roszkowska, Sylwia, 2014. "What drives heterogeneity of loan loss provisions’ procyclicality in the EU?," MPRA Paper 56834, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bing Xu & Adrian van Rixtel & Michiel van Leuvensteijn, 2014.
"Measuring bank competition in China: A comparison of new versus conventional approaches applied to loan markets,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
1404, Banco de Espa�a.
- Bing Xu & Adrian Van Rixtel & Michiel Van Leuvensteijn, 2013. "Measuring bank competition in China: a comparison of new versus conventional approaches applied to loan markets," BIS Working Papers 422, Bank for International Settlements.
- Tabak, Benjamin M. & Fazio, Dimas M. & Cajueiro, Daniel O., 2013. "Systemically important banks and financial stability: The case of Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3855-3866.
- T. Beck & O. De Jonghe & G. Schepens, 2011.
"Bank competition and stability: cross-country heterogeneity,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
11/732, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Beck, Thorsten & De Jonghe, Olivier & Schepens, Glenn, 2013. "Bank competition and stability: Cross-country heterogeneity," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 218-244.
- Olszak, Małgorzata & Świtała, Filip & Kowalska, Iwona, 2013. "Competition in commercial banks in Poland – analysis of Panzar-Rosse H-statistics," MPRA Paper 53782, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beck, T.H.L. & De Jonghe, O.G. & Schepens, G., 2011. "Bank Competition and Stability: Cross-country Heterogeneity (Replaced by CentER DP 2012-085)," Discussion Paper 2011-080, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Anginer, Deniz & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Zhu, Min, 2012. "How does bank competition affect systemic stability ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5981, The World Bank.
- Delis, Manthos D., 2012. "Bank competition, financial reform, and institutions: The importance of being developed," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 450-465.
- Tabak, Benjamin M. & Fazio, Dimas M. & Cajueiro, Daniel O., 2012.
"The relationship between banking market competition and risk-taking: Do size and capitalization matter?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3366-3381.
- Benjamin M. Tabak & Dimas M. Fazio & Daniel O. Cajueiro, 2011. "The Relationship Between Banking Market Competition and Risk-taking: Do Size and Capitalization Matter?," Working Papers Series 261, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.