Age, Wage and Productivity
AbstractPrevious empirical studies on the effect of age on productivity and wages find contradicting results. Some studies find that if workers grow older there is an increasing gap between productivity and wages, i.e. wages increase with age while productivity does not or does not increase at the same pace. However, other studies find no evidence of such an age related pay-productivity gap. We perform an analysis of the relationship between age, wage and productivity using a matched worker-firm panel dataset from Dutch manufacturing covering the period 2000-2005. We find little evidence of an age related pay-productivity gap.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2010-12.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
age; wage; productivity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2010-03-06 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2010-03-06 (Business Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Göbel, Christian & Zwick, Thomas, 2011.
"Age and productivity: Sector differences?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
11-058, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Mahlberg, Bernhard & Freund, Inga & Crespo Cuaresma, Jesús & Prskawetz, Alexia, 2013.
"Ageing, productivity and wages in Austria,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 5-15.
- Mahlberg, Bernhard & Freund, Inga & Crespo Cuaresma, Jesús & Prskawetz, Alexia, 2011. "Ageing, productivity and wages in Austria," ECON WPS - Vienna University of Technology Working Papers in Economic Theory and Policy 03/2011, Vienna University of Technology, Institute for Mathematical Methods in Economics, Research Group Economics (ECON).
- Alex Bryson & Bockerman, P. & Ilmakunnas, P., 2011.
"Does High Involvement Management Improve Worker Wellbeing?,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
380, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Böckerman, Petri & Bryson, Alex & Ilmakunnas, Pekka, 2012. "Does high involvement management improve worker wellbeing?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 660-680.
- Böckerman, Petri & Bryson, Alex & Ilmakunnas, Pekka, 2011. "Does high involvement management improve worker wellbeing?," MPRA Paper 33847, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alex Bryson & Petri Böckerman & Pekka Ilmakunnas, 2011. "Does High Involvement Management Improve Worker Wellbeing?," CEP Discussion Papers dp1095, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Hendrik Dalen & Kène Henkens, 2013.
"Dilemmas of Downsizing During the Great Recession: Crisis Strategies of European Employers,"
Springer, vol. 161(3), pages 307-329, September.
- Dalen, H.P. van & Henkens, K., 2013. "Dilemmas Of Downsizing During the Great Recession: Crisis Strategies of European Employers," Discussion Paper 2013-026, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jan Ours, 2009.
"Will You Still Need Me: When I’m 64?,"
Springer, vol. 157(4), pages 441-460, December.
- Hendrik P. Van Dalen & Kène Henkens & Joop Schippers, 2010. "How do employers cope with an ageing workforce?," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 22(32), pages 1015-1036, June.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Seija Ilmakunnas, 2011. "Diversity at the Workplace: Whom Does it Benefit?," De Economist, Springer, vol. 159(2), pages 223-255, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.