Collusion in Experimental Bertrand Duopolies with Convex Costs: The Role of Information and Cost Asymmetry
AbstractWe report the results of a series of experimental Bertrand duopolies where firms have convex costs. Theoretically these duopolies are characterized by a multiplicity of Nash equilibria. Using a 2x2 design, we analyze price choices in symmetric and asymmetric markets under 2 information conditions: complete versus incomplete information about profits. We find that information has no effect in symmetric markets with respect to market prices and the time it takes for markets to stabilize. However, in asymmetric markets, complete information leads to higher average market prices and quicker convergence of price choices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2009-87.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
Bertrand competition; convex costs; collusion; coordination; experimental economics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- C92 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Group Behavior
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andersson, Ola & Argenton, Cédric & Weibull, Jörgen W., 2012. "Robustness to Strategic Uncertainty," Working Paper Series 910, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Mulder, Machiel & Haan, Marco A. & Dijkstra, Peter T., 2014. "Industry structure and collusion with uniform yardstick competition: theory and experiments," Research Report 14010-EEF, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Giordani, Paolo E. & Ruta, Michele, 2013.
"Coordination failures in immigration policy,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 55-67.
- Paolo E. Giordani & Michele Ruta, 2011. "Coordination Failures in Immigration Policy," Working Papers CELEG 1101, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Paolo Giordani & Michele Ruta, 2011. "Coordination Failures in Immigration Policy," Working Papers LuissLab 1190, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Andersson, Ola & Argenton, Cédric & Weibull, Jörgen, 2010. "Robustness to strategic uncertainty in price competition," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 0726, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 08 Apr 2010.
- Daniel Cracau & Abdolkarim Sadrieh, 2014. "The Divergent Effects of Long-Term and Short-Term Entry Investments on Home Market Cartels," FEMM Working Papers 140003, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.