Measuring Skill in More-Person Games with Applications to Poker
AbstractIn several jurisdictions, commercially exploiting a game of chance (rather than skill) is subject to a licensing regime. It is obvious that roulette is a game of chance and chess a game of skill, but the law does not provide a precise description of where the boundary between the two classes is drawn. We build upon the framework of Borm and Van der Genugten (2001) and Dreef et al. (2004) and propose a modification of the skill concept for more-person games. We apply our new skill measure to a simplified version of poker called Straight Poker and conclude that this game should be classified as a game of skill.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2008-106.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
games of chance; games of skill; poker;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dreef, M.R.M. & Borm, P.E.M. & Genugten, B.B. van der, 2002. "On Strategy and Relative Skill in Poker," Discussion Paper 2002-59, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dreef, M.R.M., 2005. "Skill and Strategy in Games," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-170793, Tilburg University.
- Marcel Dreef & Peter Borm & Ben van der Genugten, 2004.
"A new relative skill measure for games with chance elements,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(5), pages 255-264.
- Dreef, M.R.M. & Borm, P.E.M. & Genugten, B.B. van der, 2004. "A new relative skill measure for games with chance elements," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-140730, Tilburg University.
- Dreef, M.R.M. & Borm, P.E.M. & Genugten, B.B. van der, 2001. "A New Relative Skill Measure for Games with Chance Elements," Discussion Paper 2001-106, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Genugten, B.B. van der & Borm, P.E.M. & Dreef, M.R.M. & Das, M., 2004. "De toepassing van de Wet op de Kansspelen op de managementspelen Competitie Manager en Grand Prix Manager," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-155359, Tilburg University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.