A Vertex Oriented Approach to Minimum Cost Spanning Tree Problems
AbstractIn this paper we consider spanning tree problems, where n players want to be connected to a source as cheap as possible. We introduce and analyze (n!) vertex oriented construct and charge procedures for such spanning tree situations leading in n steps to a minimum cost spanning tree and a cost sharing where each player pays the edge which he chooses in the procedure. The main result of the paper is that the average of the n! cost sharings provided by our procedure is equal to the P-value for minimum cost spanning tree situations introduced and characterized by Branzei et al. (2004). As a side product, we find a new method, the vertex oriented procedure, to construct minimum cost spanning trees.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2007-89.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
Minimum cost spanning tree games; algorithm; value; cost sharing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefano Moretti & Rodica Branzei & Henk Norde & Stef Tijs, 2004.
"The P-value for cost sharing in minimum,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 56(1), pages 47-61, 04.
- Gustavo Bergantiños & Juan Vidal-Puga, 2007. "The optimistic TU game in minimum cost spanning tree problems," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 223-239, October.
- Kar, Anirban, 2002. "Axiomatization of the Shapley Value on Minimum Cost Spanning Tree Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 265-277, February.
- Tijs, Stef & Branzei, Rodica & Moretti, Stefano & Norde, Henk, 2006.
"Obligation rules for minimum cost spanning tree situations and their monotonicity properties,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 121-134, November.
- Tijs, S.H. & Brânzei, R. & Moretti, S. & Norde, H.W., 2004. "Obligation Rules for Minimum Cost Spanning Tree Situations and their Monotonicity Properties," Discussion Paper 2004-53, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Norde, H.W. & Moretti, S. & Tijs, S.H., 2001.
"Minimum Cost Spanning Tree Games and Population Monotonic Allocation Schemes,"
2001-18, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Norde, Henk & Moretti, Stefano & Tijs, Stef, 2004. "Minimum cost spanning tree games and population monotonic allocation schemes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(1), pages 84-97, April.
- Norde, H.W. & Moretti, S. & Tijs, S.H., 2004. "Minimum cost spanning tree games and population monotonic allocation schemes," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-123753, Tilburg University.
- Dutta, Bhaskar & Kar, Anirban, 2002.
"Cost Monotonicity, Consistency And Minimum Cost Spanning Tree Games,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
629, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dutta, Bhaskar & Kar, Anirban, 2004. "Cost monotonicity, consistency and minimum cost spanning tree games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 223-248, August.
- Bhaskar Dutta & Anirban Kar, 2002. "Cost monotonicity, consistency and minimum cost spanning tree games," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 02-04, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Moretti, S. & Tijs, S.H. & Brânzei, R. & Norde, H.W., 2005. "Cost Monotonic "Cost and Charge" Rules for Connection Situations," Discussion Paper 2005-104, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Feltkamp, V. & Tijs, S.H. & Muto, S., 1994. "Minimum cost spanning extension problems: The proportional rule and the decentralized rule," Discussion Paper 1994-96, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Feltkamp, V. & Tijs, S.H. & Muto, S., 1994. "On the irreducible core and the equal remaining obligations rule of minimum cost spanning extension problems," Discussion Paper 1994-106, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.