The Complexity of Optimizing over a Simplex, Hypercube or Sphere: A Short Survey
AbstractWe consider the computational complexity of optimizing various classes of continuous functions over a simplex, hypercube or sphere.These relatively simple optimization problems have many applications.We review known approximation results as well as negative (inapproximability) results from the recent literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2006-85.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
computational complexity; global optimization; linear and semidefinite programming; approximation algorithms;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Klerk, E. & den Hertog, D. & Elabwabi, G., 2008. "On the complexity of optimization over the standard simplex," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(3), pages 773-785, December.
- Klerk, E. de & Laurent, M., 2010. "Error bounds for some semidefinite programming approaches to polynomial minimization on the hypercube," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4295255, Tilburg University.
- Peter Dickinson & Luuk Gijben, 2014. "On the computational complexity of membership problems for the completely positive cone and its dual," Computational Optimization and Applications, Springer, vol. 57(2), pages 403-415, March.
- Immanuel Bomze & Werner Schachinger & Gabriele Uchida, 2012. "Think co(mpletely)positive ! Matrix properties, examples and a clustered bibliography on copositive optimization," Journal of Global Optimization, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 423-445, March.
- Marco Locatelli, 2013. "Approximation algorithm for a class of global optimization problems," Journal of Global Optimization, Springer, vol. 55(1), pages 13-25, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.