Efficient Robust Estimation of Regression Models (Replaced by DP 2007-87)
AbstractThis paper introduces a new class of regression estimators robust to outliers, measurement errors, and other data irregularities.The estimators are based on the twostep least weighted squares method, where weights are adaptively computed using the empirical distribution function of regression residuals obtained from an initial robust fit.The asymptotic distribution of the proposed estimators is derived under general conditions, allowing for time-series applications.Further, it is shown that the breakdown point of the proposed estimators equals that of the initial robust estimate.The main contribution of the work is that the proposed two-step procedures combine several desirable properties, which different existing estimators posses separately, but not jointly.These properties are asymptotic efficiency if the errors are normally distributed, high breakdown point achieved without rejecting (trimming) of observations, and independence of auxiliary tuning parameters.A Monte Carlo study shows that the two-step least weighted squares outperform in most situations both least squares and existing robust estimators in finite samples.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2006-8.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
least weighted squares; linear regression; robust statistics; two-step estimation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1987.
"Laws of Large Numbers for Dependent Non-Identically Distributed Random Variables,"
645, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Andrews, Donald W.K., 1988. "Laws of Large Numbers for Dependent Non-Identically Distributed Random Variables," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 458-467, December.
- Marc G. Genton & André Lucas, 2000.
"Comprehensive Definitions of Breakdown-Points for Independent and Dependent Observations,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
00-040/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Marc G. Genton & André Lucas, 2003. "Comprehensive definitions of breakdown points for independent and dependent observations," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(1), pages 81-94.
- Zinde-Walsh, Victoria, 2002. "Asymptotic Theory For Some High Breakdown Point Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(05), pages 1172-1196, October.
- Bai, Jushan, 1995. "Least Absolute Deviation Estimation of a Shift," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 403-436, June.
- Wagenvoort, Rien & Waldmann, Robert, 2002. "On B-robust instrumental variable estimation of the linear model with panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 297-324, February.
- Čížek, Pavel, 2008.
"General Trimmed Estimation: Robust Approach To Nonlinear And Limited Dependent Variable Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(06), pages 1500-1529, December.
- Cizek, P., 2004. "General Trimmed Estimation: Robust Approach to Nonlinear and Limited Dependent Variable Models," Discussion Paper 2004-130, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- van Dijk, Dick & Franses, Philip Hans & Lucas, Andre, 1999.
"Testing for ARCH in the Presence of Additive Outliers,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 539-62, Sept.-Oct.
- van Dijk, D.J.C. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F. & Lucas, A., 1996. "Testing for ARCH in the Presence of Additive Outliers," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9659-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Kloek, Teun & Lucas, Andre, 1998. "Outlier robust analysis of long-run marketing effects for weekly scanning data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 293-315, November.
- Ronchetti, Elvezio & Trojani, Fabio, 2001. "Robust inference with GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 37-69, March.
- Mokkadem, Abdelkader, 1988. "Mixing properties of ARMA processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 309-315, September.
- Haldrup, Niels Prof. & Montanes, Antonio & SansÃ³, Andreu, 2000.
"Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt0gw7q9hk, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Haldrup, Niels & Montanes, Antonio & Sanso, Andreu, 2005. "Measurement errors and outliers in seasonal unit root testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 103-128, July.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montanés & Andreu Sanso, . "Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing," Economics Working Papers 2000-8, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Čížek, Pavel, 2002.
"Robust estimation with discrete explanatory variables,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2002,76, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Pavel Cizek, 2001. "Robust Estimation with Discrete Explanatory Variables," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp183, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Pavel Cizek, 2002. "Robust Estimation with Discrete Explanatory Variables," Econometrics 0203001, EconWPA.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1992. "An Introduction to Econometric Applications of Functional Limit Theory for Dependent Random Variables," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1020, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Shinichi Sakata & Halbert White, 1998. "High Breakdown Point Conditional Dispersion Estimation with Application to S&P 500 Daily Returns Volatility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(3), pages 529-568, May.
- Krishnakumar, J. & Ronchetti, E., 1997. "Robust estimators for simultaneous equations models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 295-314, June.
- Atkinson, A. C. & Koopman, S. J. & Shephard, N., 1997. "Detecting shocks: Outliers and breaks in time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 387-422, October.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:3:p:403-36 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lucas, Andre, 1995. "An outlier robust unit root test with an application to the extended Nelson-Plosser data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 153-173.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1991.
"Large shocks, small shocks, and economic fluctuations: outliers in macroeconomic times series,"
9101, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Balke, Nathan S & Fomby, Thomas B, 1994. "Large Shocks, Small Shocks, and Economic Fluctuations: Outliers in Macroeconomic Time Series," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 181-200, April-Jun.
- Ortelli, Claudio & Trojani, Fabio, 2005. "Robust efficient method of moments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 69-97, September.
- Sakata, Shinichi & White, Halbert, 2001. "S-estimation of nonlinear regression models with dependent and heterogeneous observations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 5-72, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.