Business Groups, Taxes and Accruals Management
AbstractThis paper provides evidence that Belgian firms belonging to a business group have a lower effective tax rate (ETR) and face a less positive association between pre-tax income and ETRs than independent firms.These findings suggest that individual group members apply efficient tax planning techniques in order to minimize taxes at the group level.We hypothesize that group firms strategically adjust firm-level reported earnings levels in response to tax incentives.We find evidence consistent with this hypothesis, in that the intrinsic negative association between total accruals and operating cash flows is more (less) pronounced for group firms facing a positive (zero) marginal tax rate status, compared to independent firms.In addition, we find that a group firm s net tax-paying situation is more important in its discretionary accruals reporting decisions, compared to independent firms.Finally, we identify intra-group receivables as relevant tax-reducing accruals components.Results are robust to alternative model specifications, variable definitions and measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2006-46.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
business groups; Effective tax rate; Marginal tax rate; Accruals - Cash Flow Association;
Other versions of this item:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2006-07-02 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2006-07-02 (Business Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gupta, Sanjay & Newberry, Kaye, 1997. "Determinants of the variability in corporate effective tax rates: Evidence from longitudinal data," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-34.
- Claessens, Stijn & Fan, Joseph P.H. & Lang, Larry H.P., 2006.
"The benefits and costs of group affiliation: Evidence from East Asia,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Claessens, Stijn & Fan, Joseph P.H. & Lang, Larry H.P., 2002. "The Benefits and Costs of Group Affiliation: Evidence from East Asia," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Claessens, Stijn & Fan, Joseph P.H. & Lang, Larry, 2002. "The Benefits and Costs of Group Affiliation: Evidence from East Asia," CEPR Discussion Papers 3364, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dechow, Patricia M. & Kothari, S. P. & L. Watts, Ross, 1998. "The relation between earnings and cash flows," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 133-168, May.
- Crabbé, Karen & Janssen, Boudewijn & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2004.
"Is There Regional Tax Competition? Firm Level Evidence for Belgium,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4721, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hylke Vandenbussche & Karen Crabbé & Boudewijn Janssen, 2005. "Is there Regional Tax Competition? Firm Level Evidence for Belgium," De Economist, Springer, vol. 153(3), pages 257-276, 09.
- Gramlich, J.D.Jeffrey D. & Limpaphayom, Piman & Ghon Rhee, S., 2004. "Taxes, keiretsu affiliation, and income shifting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 203-228, June.
- Plesko, George A., 2003. "An evaluation of alternative measures of corporate tax rates," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 201-226, June.
- Marc Deloof, 1998. "Internal Capital Markets, Bank Borrowing, and Financing Constraints: Evidence from Belgian Firms," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(7&8), pages 945-968.
- Hyun-Han Shin & René M. Stulz, 1998. "Are Internal Capital Markets Efficient?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(2), pages 531-552, May.
- N. Berger, Allen & F. Udell, Gregory, 1998.
"The economics of small business finance: The roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 613-673, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1998. "The economics of small business finance: the roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Joel Slemrod, 1998.
"A General Model of the Behavioral Response to Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
6582, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joel Slemrod, 2001. "A General Model of the Behavioral Response to Taxation," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 119-128, March.
- Faccio, Mara & Lang, Larry H. P., 2002. "The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 365-395, September.
- Berger, Philip G. & Ofek, Eli, 1995. "Diversification's effect on firm value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 39-65, January.
- Zimmerman, Jerold L., 1983. "Taxes and firm size," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 119-149, April.
- Leuz, Christian & Nanda, Dhananjay & Wysocki, Peter D., 2003. "Earnings management and investor protection: an international comparison," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 505-527, September.
- Vander Bauwhede, Heidi & Willekens, Marleen & Gaeremynck, Ann, 2003. "Audit firm size, public ownership, and firms' discretionary accruals management," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-22.
- Ariane Chapelle & Marco Becht & Luc Renneboog, 2001.
"Shareholding cascades: the separation of ownership and control in Belgium,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9947, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Becht, M.C. & Chapelle, A. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 1999. "Shareholding Cascades: The Separation of Ownership and Control in Belgium," Discussion Paper 1999-96, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Shackelford, Douglas A. & Shevlin, Terry, 2001. "Empirical tax research in accounting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 321-387, September.
- Mills, Lillian F. & Newberry, Kaye J., 2004. "Do Foreign Multinationals’ Tax Incentives Influence Their U.S. Income Reporting and Debt Policy?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 57(1), pages 89-107, March Cit.
- Ball, Ray & Shivakumar, Lakshmanan, 2005. "Earnings quality in UK private firms: comparative loss recognition timeliness," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 83-128, February.
- Buysschaert A. & Deloof M. & Jegers M., 2005. "Is group affiliation profitable in developed countries? Not in Belgium," Working Papers 2005014, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Tarun Khanna & Krishna Palepu, 2000. "Is Group Affiliation Profitable in Emerging Markets? An Analysis of Diversified Indian Business Groups," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 867-891, 04.
- Saugata Banerjee & Benoit Leleux & Theo Vermaelen, 1997. "Large Shareholdings and Corporate Control: An Analysis of Stake Purchases by French Holding Companies," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 3(1), pages 23-43.
- Dechow, Patricia M., 1994. "Accounting earnings and cash flows as measures of firm performance : The role of accounting accruals," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 3-42, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.