Social Capital, Institutions and Trust
AbstractThis paper analyzes the relations between social capital, institutions and trust.These concepts are full of ambiguity and confusion.This paper attempts to dissolve some of the confusion, by distinguishing trust and control, and analyzing institutional and relational conditions of trust.It presents a tool for the analysis of the foundations of trust and a diagnosis of its strength and viability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2006-35.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
social capital; institutions; trust; economic systems;
Other versions of this item:
- D02 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Institutions: Design, Formation, and Operations
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- D64 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Altruism; Philanthropy
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- P16 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Political Economy of Capitalism
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-05-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-EVO-2006-05-27 (Evolutionary Economics)
- NEP-HPE-2006-05-27 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-SOC-2006-05-27 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1993. "Calculativeness, Trust, and Economic Organization," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 453-86, April.
- Michel Zouboulakis, 2010.
"Trustworthiness as a Moral Determinant of Economic Activity: Lessons from the Classics,"
Forum for Social Economics,
Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 209-221, October.
- Michel Zouboulakis, 2010. "Trustworthiness as a Moral Determinant of Economic Activity: Lessons from the Classics," Forum for Social Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(3), pages 209-221, January.
- Xiu-Hao Ding & Rui-Hua Huang & Dong-Lin Liu, 2012. "Resource allocation for open and hidden learning in learning alliances," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 103-127, March.
- Paul Sanders, 2010. "Managing Under Duress: Ethical Leadership, Social Capital and the Civilian Administration of the British Channel Islands During the Nazi Occupation, 1940–1945," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 93(1), pages 113-129, June.
- Soviana, S., 2013. "Framework for Analyzing Community-Based Enterprise (CBE)," EconStor Preprints 74719, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Ingrid Groessl & Rolf von Luede & Jan Fleck, 2013. "Genesis and Persistence of Trust in Banks," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 201307, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
- Lombardi, Alessia & Pascucci, Stefano & Cembalo, Luigi & Dentoni, Domenico, 2012. "Governance Mechanisms in Food Community Networks," 2012 International European Forum, February 13-17, 2012, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 144980, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Rivera-Santos, Miguel & Rufín, Carlos, 2010. "Global village vs. small town: Understanding networks at the Base of the Pyramid," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 126-139, April.
- Lei Li & Zhiang Lin & Bindu Arya, 2008. "The turtle–hare race story revisited: Social capital and resource accumulation for firms from emerging economies," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 251-275, June.
- Soviana, Soviana, 2013. "Case Survey for Assessing Community-Based Enterprise: A Research Design," EconStor Preprints 84707, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Jelena Budak & Edo Rajh, 2012. "Corruption Survey in Croatia: Survey Confidentiality and Trust in Institutions," Working Papers 1201, The Institute of Economics, Zagreb.
- Fairley, Kim & Sanfey, Alan & Vyrastekova, Jana & Weitzel, Utz, 2012. "Social risk and ambiguity in the trust game," MPRA Paper 42302, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.