Logistic Efficiency Through Horizontal Cooperation: The Case of Flemish Road Transportation Companies
AbstractThis paper describes a practical application of Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) to the Flemish road transportation sector.The efficiency of 82 road transportation companies responding to a large-scale survey focused on horizontal cooperation is evaluated, based on two inputs and two outputs.Various DEA models are used to identify differences between subgroups of respondents.The results demonstrate that, in general, Flemish road transportation companies operate at unacceptably low efficiency levels.Given the findings that the median company is operating on too small a scale one apparent remedy would be a dramatic increase in market concentration through mergers and acquisitions
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2006-14.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
horizontal cooperation; road transportaion companies; data envelopment analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C44 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Operations Research; Statistical Decision Theory
- L92 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Railroads and Other Surface Transportation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Manolis Athanassiou, 2004. "Efficiency in European Seaports with DEA: Evidence from Greece and Portugal," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 6(2), pages 122-140, June.
- Adler, Nicole & Golany, Boaz, 2001. "Evaluation of deregulated airline networks using data envelopment analysis combined with principal component analysis with an application to Western Europe," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 260-273, July.
- Chiou, Yu-Chiun & Chen, Yen-Heng, 2006. "Route-based performance evaluation of Taiwanese domestic airlines using data envelopment analysis," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 116-127, March.
- Rajiv D. Banker, 1993. "Maximum Likelihood, Consistency and Data Envelopment Analysis: A Statistical Foundation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1265-1273, October.
- Odeck, James, 2006. "Identifying traffic safety best practice: an application of DEA and Malmquist indices," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 28-40, January.
- Johnes, Jill, 2006. "Data envelopment analysis and its application to the measurement of efficiency in higher education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 273-288, June.
- Banker, Rajiv D., 1984. "Estimating most productive scale size using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 35-44, July.
- Cruijssen, F.C.A.M. & Braysy, O. & Dullaert, W. & Fleuren, H.A. & Salomon, M., 2006. "Joint Route Planning under Varying Market Conditions," Discussion Paper 2006-49, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.