Information Sharing and International Taxation
AbstractThe sharing between national tax authorities of taxpayer-specific information has emerged over the last few years as a-probably "the"-central issue in the formation of international tax policy.Yet this refocusing of the debate on international taxation-away from parametric tax coordination and towards strengthening information exchange-has gone largely unnoticed in the public finance literature.This paper gives an overview of this increasingly important area of international taxation, reviewing the key economic, legal and practical concepts and issues bearing on the analysis and implementation of information exchange, and providing an account of recent policy initiatives and emerging theoretical insights.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2004-117.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
International tax evasion; tax competition; tax information exchange; tax treaties; money laundering; savings tax directive;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
- H87 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - International Fiscal Issues; International Public Goods
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Janeba,Eckhard, 1991.
"Corporate income tax competition,Double taxation treaties, and foreign direct investment,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
361, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Janeba, Eckhard, 1995. "Corporate income tax competition, double taxation treaties, and foreign direct investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 311-325, February.
- Konrad, K.A. & Schjelderup, G., 1998.
"Fortress Building in Global Tax Competition,"
17/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Martin Kolmar, . "Information Sharing, Multiple Nash Equilibria, and Asymmetric Capital-Tax Competition," EPRU Working Paper Series 02-01, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Eckhard Janeba & Michael Smart, 2001.
"Is Targeted Tax Competition Less Harmful than its Remedies?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
590, CESifo Group Munich.
- Janeba, Eckhard & Smart, Michael, 2003. "Is Targeted Tax Competition Less Harmful Than Its Remedies?," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 259-80, May.
- Harry Huizinga & Søren Bo Nielsen, .
"Withholding Taxes or Information Exchange: The Taxation of International Interest Flows,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
00-19, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nielsen, Soren Bo, 2003. "Withholding taxes or information exchange: the taxation of international interest flows," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 39-72, January.
- Bacchetta, Philippe & Espinosa, Maria Paz, 1995.
"Information sharing and tax competition among governments,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 103-121, August.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Maria Paz Espinosa, 1993. "Information Sharing and Tax Competition Among Governments," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0028, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
- Bacchetta, P. & Paz Espinosa, M., 1992. "Information Sharing and Tax Competition Among Governments," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 173.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Roger H. Gordon & James R. Hines Jr., 2002.
NBER Working Papers
8854, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ligthart, Jenny E., 2007. "Information sharing for consumption tax purposes: An empirical analysis," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 24-42, March.
- Michael Keen & David Wildasin, 2004. "Pareto-Efficient International Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 259-275, March.
- Keen, M. & Ligthart, J.E., 2004.
"Incentives and Information Exchange in International Taxation,"
2004-54, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Michael Keen & Jenny Ligthart, 2006. "Incentives and Information Exchange in International Taxation," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 163-180, May.
- Diamond, Peter A & Mirrlees, James A, 1971. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production II: Tax Rules," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(3), pages 261-78, June.
- Yaniv, Gideon, 1994. "Taxation and Dirty Money Laundering," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 49(Supplemen), pages 40-51.
- Killian J. McCarthy & Frederik van Doorn & B. Unger, 2008. "Globalisation, Tax Competition and the Harmonisation of Corporate Tax Rates in Europe: A Case of Killing the Patient to Cure the Disease?," Working Papers 08-13, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Michael Keen & Jenny Ligthart, 2006. "Information Sharing and International Taxation: A Primer," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 81-110, January.
- Bernardi, Luigi, 2006. "A family of big brother that do not talk each other," MPRA Paper 1867, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rixen, Thomas, 2005. "Internationale Kooperation im asymmetrischen Gefangenendilemma: Das OECD Projekt gegen schädlichen Steuerwettbewerb," MPRA Paper 329, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2005.
- Giuseppe Carone & Jan Host Schmidt & Gaetan Nicodeme, 2007.
"Tax revenues in the European Union: Recent trends and challenges ahead,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
280, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Carone, Giuseppe & Nicodème, Gaëtan & Schmidt, Jan, 2007. "Tax revenues in the European Union: Recent trends and challenges ahead," MPRA Paper 3996, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Keen & Jenny E. Ligthart, 2007.
"Revenue Sharing and Information Exchange under Non-discriminatory Taxation,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 109(3), pages 487-504, 09.
- Keen, M. & Ligthart, J.E., 2005. "Revenue Sharing and Information Exchange under Non-Discriminatory Taxation," Discussion Paper 2005-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- PAOLINI, Dimitri & PISTONE, Pasquale & pulina, GIUSEPPE & ZAGLER, Martin, 2011. "Tax treaties and the allocation of taxing rights with developing countries," CORE Discussion Papers 2011042, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.