Strategic Investment Under Uncertainty: Merging Real Options with Game Theory
AbstractAs becomes apparent from the standard text books in industrial organization (cf.Tirole, 1988, The Theory of Industrial Organization), the analysis of the e.ects of uncertainty within this field is yet underdeveloped.This paper shows that the new theory of strategic real options can be used to fill this empty hole .Based on the work by Smets (1991) standard models are identified, and they are analyzed by applying a method involving symmetric mixed strategies.As an illustration, extensions regarding asymmetry, technology adoption and decreasing uncertainty over time are reviewed.Among others, it is found that the value of a high cost firm can increase in its own cost.Furthermore, it is established to what extent investments are delayed when technologial progress is anticipated, and it is found that competition can be bad for welfare.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2003-6.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
productivity; innovation; technology; corporate finance; valuation; capital budgeting; investment; game theory; uncertainty;
Other versions of this item:
- Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M. & Pawlina, G. & Thijssen, J.J.J., 2004. "Strategic investment under uncertainty: Merging real options with game theory," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-142400, Tilburg University.
- NEP-ALL-2003-02-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-GTH-2003-02-24 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MAC-2003-02-24 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Heikkinen, T. & Pietola, K., 2009.
"Investment and the dynamic cost of income uncertainty: The case of diminishing expectations in agriculture,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 192(2), pages 634-646, January.
- Heikkinen, Tiina & Pietola, Kyosti, 2006. "Investment and the Dynamic Cost of Income Uncertainty: the Case of Diminishing Expectations in Agriculture," Discussion Papers 11868, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
- Roques, Fabien A. & Savva, Nicos, 2009. "Investment under uncertainty with price ceilings in oligopolies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 507-524, February.
- Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 2013. "Strategic Capacity Investment Under uncertainty," Discussion Paper 2013-003, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Doriana Ruffino & Jonathan Treussard, 2006.
"Lumps and Clusters in Duopolistic Investment Games: An Early Exercise Premium Approach,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2006-044, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Treussard & Doriana Ruffino, 2007. "Lumps and Clusters in Duopolistic Investment Games: An Early Exercise Premium Approach," 2007 Meeting Papers 77, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bouis, R. & Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 2006.
"Investment in Oligopoly under Uncertainty: The Accordion Effect,"
2006-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bouis, Romain & Huisman, Kuno J.M. & Kort, Peter M., 2009. "Investment in oligopoly under uncertainty: The accordion effect," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 320-331, March.
- Bouis, Romain & Huisman, Kuno & Kort, Peter M., 2009. "Investment in oligopoly under uncertainty: The accordion effect," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12655, Paris Dauphine University.
- de Villemeur, Etienne Billette & Ruble, Richard & Versaevel, Bruno, 2013. "Caveat preemptor: Coordination failure and success in a duopoly investment game," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 250-254.
- Pietola, Kyosti & Myyra, Sami & Pouta, Eija, 2009.
"Fiscal and trade distorting effects of capital gains tax on land sales - empirical evidence from agricultural land market in Finland,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
50953, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pietola, Kyosti & Myyra, Sami & Pouta, Eija, 2009. "Fiscal and trade distorting effects of capital gains tax on land sales - empirical evidence from agricultural land market in Finland," Discussion Papers 50040, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
- YongQiang Chu & Tien Sing, 2007. "Optimal Timing of Real Estate Investment under an Asymmetric Duopoly," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 327-345, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.