Application-driven Sequential Designs for Simulation Experiments: Kriging Metamodeling
AbstractThis paper proposes a novel method to select an experimental design for interpolation in simulation.Though the paper focuses on Kriging in deterministic simulation, the method also applies to other types of metamodels (besides Kriging), and to stochastic simulation.The paper focuses on simulations that require much computer time, so it is important to select a design with a small number of observations.The proposed method is therefore sequential.The novelty of the method is that it accounts for the specific input/output function of the particular simulation model at hand; i.e., the method is application-driven or customized.This customization is achieved through cross-validation and jackknifing.The new method is tested through two academic applications, which demonstrate that the method indeed gives better results than a design with a prefixed sample size.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2003-33.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
experimental design; simulation; interpolation; sampling; sensitivity analysis; metamodels;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-04-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBE-2003-04-21 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-CMP-2003-04-21 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ECM-2003-04-24 (Econometrics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Edwin Dam & Bart Husslage & Dick Hertog, 2010.
"One-dimensional nested maximin designs,"
Journal of Global Optimization,
Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 287-306, February.
- Dam, E.R. van & Husslage, B.G.M. & Hertog, D. den, 2004. "One-Dimensional Nested Maximin Designs," Discussion Paper 2004-66, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dam, E.R. van & Husslage, B.G.M. & Hertog, D. den, 2010. "One-dimensional nested maximin designs," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3448696, Tilburg University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.