A Simple Asymptotic Analysis of Residual-Based Statistics
AbstractWhat s the asymptotic null distribution of a rank-based serial autocorrelation test applied to residuals of an estimated GARCH model?What s the limiting distribution of estimated ACD parameters applied to the residuals of some first-stage modelling procedure?This paper addresses the often occurring situation in econometrics of applying standard statistics to residuals instead of innovations.The paper provides a simple and unified way of calculating the necessary adjustment in the limiting distribution, be it of tests or estimators. On the technical side, we also provide a novel approach to this problem using Le Cam s theory of convergence of experiments (in this paper restricted to Gaussian shift experiments).The resulting formula is simple and the regularity conditions required fairly minimal.Numerous examples show the strength and wide applicability of our approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2003-118.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
statistics; estimation; ranking;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-01-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2004-01-05 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2004-01-05 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.