The European UMTS-auction
AbstractIn this paper we review, and draw some lessons from, the UMTS-auctions that have taken place in Europe during 2000 and 2001.We address several design issues and, in particular, focus attention on asymmetries between the bidders and on possibilities for collusion.An outlook is provided to several other auctions in which the stakes may not be so high, but the design issues perhaps somewhat more complex.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2002-100.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
auctions; telecommunications; game theory;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-12-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2002-12-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-FIN-2002-12-09 (Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric van Damme, 2002. "The Dutch UMTS-Auction," CESifo Working Paper Series 722, CESifo Group Munich.
- Damme, E.E.C. van, 2001. "The Dutch UMTS-auction in retrospect," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-86585, Tilburg University.
- Damme, E.E.C. van, 1999. "The Dutch DCS-1800 Auction," Discussion Paper 1999-77, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Damme, E.E.C. van, 1999. "The Dutch DCS-1800 auction," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-80661, Tilburg University.
- Florian Englmaier & Pablo Guillen & Loreto Llorente & Sander Onderstal & Rupert Sausgruber, 2006.
"The Chopstick Auction: A Study of the Exposure Problem in Multi-Unit Auctions,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1782, CESifo Group Munich.
- Englmaier, Florian & Guillén, Pablo & Llorente, Loreto & Onderstal, Sander & Sausgruber, Rupert, 2009. "The chopstick auction: A study of the exposure problem in multi-unit auctions," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 286-291, March.
- Sander Onderstal & Florian Englmaier & Pablo Guillen & Loreto Llorente & Rupert Sausgruber, 2004. "The Chopstick Auction: A Study of the Exposure Problem in Multi-Unit Auctions," Working Papers 2004.10, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Scandizzo, Pasquale L. & Ventura, Marco, 0.
"Bids for the UMTS system: An empirical evaluation of the Italian case,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(10-11), pages 533-551, November.
- Pasquale L. Scandizzo & Marco Ventura, 2006. "Bids for the UMTS system: An empirical evaluation of the Italian case," CEIS Research Paper 88, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Abbink, Klaus & Brandts, Jordi & Pezanis-Christou, Paul, 2006.
"Auctions for government securities: A laboratory comparison of uniform, discriminatory and Spanish designs,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 284-303, October.
- Klaus Abbink & Jordi Brandts & Paul Pezanis-Christou, 2002. "Auctions for Government Securities: A Laboratory Comparison of Uniform, Discriminatory and Spanish Designs," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 551.02, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Antonio Estache & A. Iimi, 2008.
"Procurement Efficiency for Infrastructure Development and Financial Needs Reassessed,"
Working Papers ECARES
2008_022, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Estache, Antonio & Iimi, Atsushi, 2008. "Procurement efficiency for infrastructure development and financial needs reassessed," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4662, The World Bank.
- Maarten C.W. Janssen & Vladimir A. Karamychev, 2005. "Auctions, Market Prices and the Risk Attitude Effect," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-025/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Marja Appelman & Joeri Gorter & Mark Lijesen & Richard Venniker & S. Onderstal, 2003. "Equal rules or equal opportunities? Demystifying level playing field," CPB Document 34, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.