Kriging for Interpolation in Random Simulation
AbstractWhenever simulation requires much computer time, interpolation is needed. There are several interpolation techniques in use (for example, linear regression), but this paper focuses on Kriging.This technique was originally developed in geostatistics by D.G.Krige, and has recently been widely applied in deterministic simulation.This paper, however, focuses on random or stochastic simulation.Essentially, Kriging gives more weight to 'neighbouring' observations.There are several types of Kriging; this paper discusses - besides Ordinary Kriging - a novel type, which 'detrends' data through the use of linear regression.Results are presented for two examples of input/output behaviour of the underlying random simulation model: A perfectly specified detrending function gives the best predictions, but Ordinary Kriging gives quite acceptable results; traditional linear regression gives the worst predictions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2001-74.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
simulation; statistics; stochastic processes; methodology; linear regression;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-10-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2001-10-22 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ECM-2001-10-22 (Econometrics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Groenendaal, W.J.H. van & Kleijnen, J.P.C., 1997. "On the assessment of economic risk: Factorial design versus Monte Carlo methods," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-73903, Tilburg University.
- Kleijnen, J.P.C., 1997. "Experimental Design for Sensitivity Analysis, Optimization and Validation of Simulation Models," Discussion Paper 1997-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kleijnen, J.P.C. & Groenendaal, W.J.H. van, 1992. "Simulation: A statistical perspective," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-388278, Tilburg University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.