Nonparametric Bounds in the Presence of Item Nonresponse, Unfolding Brackets and Anchoring
AbstractHousehold surveys often suffer from nonresponse on variables such as income, savings or wealth.Recent work by Manski shows how bounds on conditional quantiles of the variable of interest can be derived, allowing for any type of nonrandom item nonresponse.The width between these bounds can be reduced using follow up questions in the form of unfolding brackets for initial item nonrespondents.Recent evidence, however, suggests that such a design is vulnerable to anchoring effects.In this paper Manski's bounds are extended to incorporate the information provided by the bracket respondents allowing for different forms of anchoring.The new bounds are applied to earnings in the 1996 wave of the Health and Retirement Survey.The results show that the categorical questions can be useful to increase precision of the bounds, even if anchoring is allowed for.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2001-67.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data; Data Access
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Matthew Rabin, 1998.
"Psychology and Economics,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 11-46, March.
- Matthew Rabin., 1997. "Psychology and Economics," Economics Working Papers 97-251, University of California at Berkeley.
- Rabin, Matthew, 1997. "Psychology and Economics," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt8jd5z5j2, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Trudy Ann Cameron & John Quiggin, 1992.
"Estimation Using Contingent Valuation Data From a "Dichotomous Choice with Follow-Up" Questionnaire,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
653, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cameron Trudy Ann & Quiggin John, 1994. "Estimation Using Contingent Valuation Data from a Dichotomous Choice with Follow-Up Questionnaire," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 218-234, November.
- Vazquez-Alvarez, R. & Melenberg, B. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 1999. "Bounds on Quantiles in the Presence of Full and Partial Item Nonresponse," Discussion Paper 1999-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Charles F. Manski, 1989. "Anatomy of the Selection Problem," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 24(3), pages 343-360.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Charles F. Manski, 1996.
"Censoring of Outcomes and Regressors Due To Survey Nonresponse: Identification and Estimation Using Weights and Imputations,"
9602007, EconWPA, revised 06 Mar 1996.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Manski, Charles F., 1998. "Censoring of outcomes and regressors due to survey nonresponse: Identification and estimation using weights and imputations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 37-58, May.
- Horowitz, J.L. & Manski, C.F., 1995. "Censoring of Outcomes and Regressors Due to Survey Nonresponse: Identification and estimation Using Weights and Imputations," Working Papers 95-12, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- repec:att:wimass:8909 is not listed on IDEAS
- Manski, C.F. & Sandefur, G.D. & Mclanahan, S. & Powers, D., 1990. "Alternative Estimates Of The Effect Of Family Stucture During Adolescence On Hight School Graduation," Working papers 90-31, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Lee, Myoung-jae & Melenberg, Bertrand, 1998. "Bounding quantiles in sample selection models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 29-35, October.
- Manski, C.F., 1990. "The Selection Problem," Working papers 90-12, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Lechner, Michael, 1996.
"Nonparametric bounds on employment and income effects of continuous vocational training in East Germany,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
96-31, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Michael Lechner, 1999. "Nonparametric bounds on employment and income effects of continuous vocational training in East Germany," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 1-28.
- repec:att:wimass:9217 is not listed on IDEAS
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Shogren, Jason F., 1996.
"Starting Point Bias in Dichotomous Choice Valuation with Follow-Up Questioning,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 112-131, January.
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Shogren, Jason F., 1996. "Starting Point Bias in Dichotomous Choice Valuation with Follow-Up Questioning," Staff General Research Papers 1501, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Charles F. Manski & Elie Tamer, 2002. "Inference on Regressions with Interval Data on a Regressor or Outcome," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 519-546, March.
- Manski, Charles F, 1990.
"Nonparametric Bounds on Treatment Effects,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 319-23, May.
- Green, Donald & Jacowitz, Karen E. & Kahneman, Daniel & McFadden, Daniel, 1998.
"Referendum contingent valuation, anchoring, and willingness to pay for public goods,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 85-116, June.
- Donald Green & Karen Jacowitz & Daniel Kahneman & Daniel McFadden, 1995. "Referendum Contingent Valuation, Anchoring, and Willingness to Pay for Public Goods," Working Papers _010, University of California at Berkeley, Econometrics Laboratory Software Archive.
- F. Thomas Juster & James P. Smith, 2004. "Improving the Quality of Economic Data: Lessons from the HRS and AHEAD," Labor and Demography 0402010, EconWPA.
- Michael D. Hurd & Daniel McFadden & Harish Chand & Li Gan & Angela Menill & Michael Roberts, 1998. "Consumption and Savings Balances of the Elderly: Experimental Evidence on Survey Response Bias," NBER Chapters, in: Frontiers in the Economics of Aging, pages 353-392 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosalia Vazquez-Alvarez, 2003. "Anchoring Bias and Covariate Nonresponse," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2003 2003-19, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2007-15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cheti Nicoletti & Franco Peracchi & Francesca Foliano, 2009.
"Estimating Income Poverty in the Presence of Missing Data and Measurement Error,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
252, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Nicoletti, Cheti & Peracchi, Franco & Foliano, Francesca, 2011. "Estimating Income Poverty in the Presence of Missing Data and Measurement Error," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 29(1), pages 61-72.
- Cheti Nicoletti & Franco Peracchi & Francesca Foliano, 2009. "Estimating Income Poverty in the Presence of Missing Data and Measurement Error," CEIS Research Paper 145, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 30 Sep 2009.
- Christian Bontemps & Thierry Magnac & Eric Maurin, 2012.
"Set Identified Linear Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 80(3), pages 1129-1155, 05.
- Bontemps, Christian & Magnac, Thierry & Maurin, Eric, 2007. "Set Identified Linear Models," IDEI Working Papers 494, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Christian Bontemps & Thierry Magnac & Eric Maurin, 2011. "Set identified linear models," CeMMAP working papers CWP13/11, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bontemps, Christian & Magnac, Thierry & Maurin, Eric, 2009. "Set Identified Linear Models," TSE Working Papers 09-090, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Cheti Nicoletti, 2002.
"Non-Response in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002
A5-4, International Conferences on Panel Data.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.