A Partial Ranking Algorithm for Resource Allocation Problems
AbstractWe present an algorithm to solve resource allocation problems with a single resource, a convex separable objective function, a convex separable resource-usage constraint and bounded variables.Through evaluation of specific functions in the lower and/or upper bounds, we obtain information on whether or not these bounds are binding.Once this information is available for all variables, the optimum is found through determination of the unique root of a strictly decreasing function.A comparison is made with the currently known most efficient algorithms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2001-40.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-06-22 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jose A. Ventura & Michael X. Weng, 1995. "Minimizing Single-Machine Completion Time Variance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(9), pages 1448-1455, September.
- De Waegenaere, A.M.B. & Wielhouwer, J.L., 2001.
"Optimal Tax Depreciation Lives and Charges under Regulatory Constraints,"
2001-23, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- De Waegenaere, A.M.B. & Wielhouwer, J.L., 2002. "Optimal tax depreciation lives and charges under regulatory constraints," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-89717, Tilburg University.
- Gabriel R. Bitran & Arnoldo C. Hax, 1981. "Disaggregation and Resource Allocation Using Convex Knapsack Problems with Bounded Variables," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(4), pages 431-441, April.
- Paul H. Zipkin, 1980. "Simple Ranking Methods for Allocation of One Resource," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(1), pages 34-43, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.