Decentralization, Interdependence and Performance Measurement System Design: Sequences and Priorities
AbstractWe investigate the determinants of decentralization and performance measurement choices in multidivisional firms.We extend the research on the economics of organizational design choices by examining the impact of two important determinants of those choices, namely, subunit interdependencies and knowledge transfer costs.We test our predictions with a simultaneous equation model that captures the endogenous choices relating to the level of decentralization and the use of alternative subunit performance measures using data collected from 78 business units.Our findings are generally consistent with our predictions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2001-28.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
performance measurement; interdependency; knowledge; decentralization; organizational structure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- M12 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Personnel Management; Executives; Executive Compensation
- M4 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-05-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bolton, Patrick & Dewatripont, Mathias, 1995.
"The time and budget constraints of the firm,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 691-699, April.
- Venky Nagar, . "Organizational Design Choices in Retail Banking," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 09-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Christie, A.W. & Joye, M.P. & Watts, R.L., 1991.
"Decentralization of the Firm: Theory and Evidence,"
91-03, Rochester, Business - Managerial Economics Research Center.
- Venky Nagar, . "Organizational Design Choices in Retail Banking," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 9-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Smith, C.W. & Watts, R.L., 1992.
"The Investment Oppotunity set and Corporate Financing, Dividend and Compensation Policies,"
92-02, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Watts, Ross L., 1992. "The investment opportunity set and corporate financing, dividend, and compensation policies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 263-292, December.
- Abernethy, Margaret A. & Lillis, Anne M., 1995. "The impact of manufacturing flexibility on management control system design," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 241-258, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.