Libor and Swap Market Models for the Pricing of Interest Rate Derivatives: An Empirical Analysis
AbstractIn this paper we empirically analyze and compare the Libor and Swap Market Models, developed by Brace, Gatarek, and Musiela (1997) and Jamshidian (1997), using paneldata on prices of US caplets and swaptions.A Libor Market Model can directly be calibrated to observed prices of caplets, whereas a Swap Market Model is calibrated to a certain set of swaption prices.For both one-factor and two-factor models we analyze how well they price caplets and swaptions that were not used for calibration.We show that the Libor Market Models in general lead to better prediction of derivative prices that were not used for calibration than the Swap Market Models.A one-factor Libor Market Model that exhibits mean-reversion gives a good fit of the derivative prices, and adding a second factor only decreases pricing errors to a small extent.We also find that models that are chosen to exactly match certain derivative prices are overfitted. Finally, a regression analysis reveals that the pricing errors are correlated with the shape of the term structure of interest rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 2000-35.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
Term Structure Models; Interest Rate Derivatives; Lognormal Pricing Models; Black Formula;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geert Bekaert & Robert J. Hodrick & David Marshall, 1996.
"On biases in tests of the expectations hypothesis of the term structure of interest rates,"
Working Paper Series, Issues in Financial Regulation
WP-96-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Bekaert, Geert & Hodrick, Robert J. & Marshall, David A., 1997. "On biases in tests of the expectations hypothesis of the term structure of interest rates," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 309-348, June.
- Geert Bekaert & Robert J. Hodrick & David A. Marshall, 1996. "On Biases in Tests of the Expecations Hypothesis of the Term Structure Of Interest Rates," NBER Technical Working Papers 0191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bossaerts, Peter & Hillion, Pierre, 2003. "Local parametric analysis of derivatives pricing and hedging," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 573-605, August.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-92.
- Hull, John C & White, Alan D, 1987. " The Pricing of Options on Assets with Stochastic Volatilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 281-300, June.
- Chan, K C, et al, 1992.
" An Empirical Comparison of Alternative Models of the Short-Term Interest Rate,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1209-27, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate CKLS(1992) estimation of interest rate models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00035, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bams, Dennis & Schotman, Peter C, 1998. "Direct Estimation of the Risk Neutral Factor Dynamics of Affine Term Structure Models," CEPR Discussion Papers 2034, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Moraleda, Juan M. & Vorst, Ton C. F., 1997. "Pricing American interest rate claims with humped volatility models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(8), pages 1131-1157, August.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xiaoliang Zhao & Paul Glasserman, 2000. "Arbitrage-free discretization of lognormal forward Libor and swap rate models," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 35-68.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Peter Ritchken & L. Sankarasubramanian, 1995. "Volatility Structures Of Forward Rates And The Dynamics Of The Term Structure," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 55-72.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Amin, Kaushik I. & Morton, Andrew J., 1994. "Implied volatility functions in arbitrage-free term structure models," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 141-180, April.
- Flesaker, Bjorn, 1993. "Testing the Heath-Jarrow-Morton/Ho-Lee Model of Interest Rate Contingent Claims Pricing," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(04), pages 483-495, December.
- Alan Brace & Dariusz G�atarek & Marek Musiela, 1997. "The Market Model of Interest Rate Dynamics," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 127-155.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Miltersen, Kristian R & Sandmann, Klaus & Sondermann, Dieter, 1997.
" Closed Form Solutions for Term Structure Derivatives with Log-Normal Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 409-30, March.
- Miltersen, K. & K. Sandmann & D. Sondermann, 1994. "Closed Form Solutions for Term Structure Derivatives with Log-Normal Interest Rates," Discussion Paper Serie B 308, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Darrell Duffie & Rui Kan, 1996. "A Yield-Factor Model Of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 379-406.
- Farshid Jamshidian, 1997. "LIBOR and swap market models and measures (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 293-330.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- Christian Zühlsdorff, 2002. "Extended Libor Market Models with Affine and Quadratic Volatility," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse6_2002, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Mihaela Tuca, 2009. "Calibration of LIBOR Market Model: Comparison between the Separated and the Approximate Approach," Advances in Economic and Financial Research - DOFIN Working Paper Series 27, Bucharest University of Economics, Center for Advanced Research in Finance and Banking - CARFIB.
- Carol Alexandra, 2002. "Common Correlation and Calibrating the Lognormal Forward Rate Model," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2002-18, Henley Business School, Reading University, revised Jan 2003.
- Frank de Jong & Joost Driessen & Antoon Pelsser, 2004.
"On the Information in the Interest Rate Term Structure and Option Prices,"
Review of Derivatives Research,
Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 99-127, 08.
- Jong, F.C.J.M. de & Driessen, J. & Pelsser, A., 2004. "On the information in the interest rate term structure and option prices," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3159390, Tilburg University.
- Riccardo Rebonato, 2006. "Forward-Rate Volatilities And The Swaption Matrix: Why Neither Time-Homogeneity Nor Time-Dependence Are Enough," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(05), pages 705-746.
- S.Galluccio & Z. Huang & J.-M. Ly & O. Scaillet, 2005.
"Theory and Calibration of Swap Market Models,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp107, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Mireille Bossy & Rajna Gibson & Francois-Serge Lhabitant & Nathalie Pistre & Denis Talay, 2006. "Model misspecification analysis for bond options and Markovian hedging strategies," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 109-135, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.