Weak Stability and a Bargaining Set for the Marriage Model
AbstractIn this note we introduceweak stability, a relaxation of the concept of stability for the marriage model by assuming that the agents are no longer myopic in choosing a blocking pair. The new concept is based on threats within blocking pairs: an individually rational matching is weakly stable if for every blocking pair one of themembers can find a more attractive partner with whom he forms another blocking pair for the original matching. Our main result is that under the assumption of strict preferences, the set of weakly stable and weakly efficient matchings coincides with the bargaining set of Zhou (1994) for this context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 1999-114.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
matching; (weak) stability; bargaining set;
Other versions of this item:
- Klijn, Flip & Masso, Jordi, 2003. "Weak stability and a bargaining set for the marriage model," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 91-100, January.
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-01-07 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhou Lin, 1994. "A New Bargaining Set of an N-Person Game and Endogenous Coalition Formation," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 512-526, May.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1989. "An equivalence theorem for a bargaining set," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 129-139, April.
- Vannetelbosch, Vincent J. & Mauleon, Ana & Vergote, Wouter, 2011.
"Von Neumann-Morgenstern farsightedly stable sets in two-sided matching,"
Econometric Society, vol. 6(3), September.
- Ana, MAULEON & Vincent, VANNETELBOSCH & Wouter, VERGOTE, 2008. "Von Neuman-Morgenstern farsightedly stable sets in two-sided matching," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2008013, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- MAULEON, Ana & VANNETELBOSCH, Vincent & VERGOTE, Wouter, 2008. "Von Neumann-Morgenstern farsightedly stable sets in two-sided matching," CORE Discussion Papers 2008016, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mauleon, Ana, 2011. "von Neumann-Morgenstern farsightedly stable sets in two-sided matching," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078.1/87510, Université catholique de Louvain.
- Vincent Vannetelbosch & Ana Mauleon & Wouter Vergote, 2008. "Von Neumann-Morgenstern Farsightedly Stable Sets in Two-Sided Matching," Working Papers 2008.29, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Federico Echenique & Jorge Oviedo, 2004.
"A Theory of Stability in Many-to-many Matching Markets,"
Game Theory and Information
- Echenique, Federico & Oviedo, Jorge, 2006. "A theory of stability in many-to-many matching markets," Theoretical Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 1(2), pages 233-273, June.
- Echenique, Federico & Oviedo, Jorge, 2003. "A Theory of Stability in Many-to-Many Matching Markets," Working Papers 1185, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Jorge Oviedo & Federico Echenique, 2005. "A Theory of Stability in Many-to-Many Matching Markets," 2005 Meeting Papers 233, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Federico Echenique & Jorge Oviedo, 2003. "A Theory of Stability in Many-to-many Matching Markets," Levine's Working Paper Archive 666156000000000374, David K. Levine.
- Somdeb Lahiri, 2006.
"A Weak Bargaining Set for Contract Choice Problems,"
2006.19, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Lahiri, Somdeb, 2007. "A weak bargaining set for contract choice problems," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 185-190, December.
- Somdeb Lahiri, 2003.
"Stable Outcomes For Contract Choice Problems,"
Game Theory and Information
- Peter Biro & Flip Klijn, 2011.
"Matching with Couples: a Multidisciplinary Survey,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
1139, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Florian M. Biermann, 2011.
"A Measure to compare Matchings in Marriage Markets,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp575, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Florian M. Biermann, 2011. "A Measure to compare Matchings in Marriage Markets," Working Papers 005-11, International School of Economics at TSU, Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia.
- Florian M. Biermann, 2011. "A Measure to Compare Matchings in Marriage Markets," Working Papers 2011.41, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Klaus, Bettina & Klijn, Flip, 2005.
"Stable matchings and preferences of couples,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-20021, Maastricht University.
- Damiano, Ettore & Lam, Ricky, 2005. "Stability in dynamic matching markets," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 34-53, July.
- Bando, Keisuke, 2012. "Many-to-one matching markets with externalities among firms," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 14-20.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.