On the Stability of Communication Systems with Timed Token Protocols
AbstractMedium Access Control protocols for high speed LAN/MANs often employ a timer-controlled token passing mechanism to control station access to the shared media. These protocols support time-critical (real-time) applications, and provide priority among non time-critical applications. This paper considers the stability of systems with several target token rotation times. It shows that there do not exist simple, general stability bounds for these systems, because these bounds may depend on the arrival processes and the transmission time distributions not only through their means.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 1999-11.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
communication system; token rotation time; bursty arrivals; priorities; non time- critical traffic; stability; power-series algorithm;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1999-03-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanc, J.P.C., 1993. "Performance Analysis and Optimization with the Power-Series Algorithm," Discussion Paper 1993-47, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Blanc, J.P.C., 1993. "Performance Analysis and Optimization with the Power- Series Algorithm," Papers 9347, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Blanc, J.P.C., 1992.
"Performance evaluation of polling systems by means of the power-series algorithm,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-384450, Tilburg University.
- Blanc, J.P.C., 1990. "Performance evaluation of polling systems by means of the power-series algorithm," Research Memorandum 459, Tilburg University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Blanc, J.P.C. & Lenzini, L., 1995.
"Analysis of communication systems with timed token protocols using the power-series algorithm,"
1995-100, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Blanc, J.P.C. & Lenzini, L., 1996. "Analysis of communication systems with timed token protocols using the power-series algorithm," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-74279, Tilburg University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.