Weighted Constrained Egalitarianism in TU-Games
AbstractThe constrained egalitarian solution of Dutta and Ray (1989) for TU-games is extended to asymmetric cases, using the notion of weight systems as in Kalai and Samet (1987,1988). This weighted constrained egalitarian solution is based on the weighted Lorenz-criterion as an inequality measure. It is shown that in general there is at most one such weighted egalitarian solution for TU-games. Existence is proved for the class of convex games. Furthermore, the core of a postive valued convex game is covered by weighted constrained egalitarian solutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 1999-107.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
Cooperative game theory; inequality; egalitarianism; Lorenz-ordering; core;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A13 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Social Values
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1999-12-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-1999-12-01 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-IND-1999-12-01 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J.- Y. Jaffray & Ph. Mongin, 1998.
"Constrained egalitarianism in a simple redistributive model,"
THEMA Working Papers
98-37, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Jean-Yves Jaffray & Philippe Mongin, 2003. "Constrained egalitarianism in a simple redistributive model," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 54(1), pages 33-56, February.
- Jaffray, J.Y. & Mongin, P., 1998. "Constrained Egalitarianism in a Simple Resistributive Model," Papers 9837, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Tijs, S.H. & Koster, M.A.L., 1998.
"General aggregation of demand and cost sharing methods,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-79248, Tilburg University.
- Tijs, S.H. & Koster, M.A.L., 1996. "General Aggregation of Demand and Cost Sharing Methods," Discussion Paper 1996-87, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1973.
"Some further results on the measurement of inequality,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 188-204, April.
- Michael Rothschild & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1972. "Some Further Results on the Measurement of Inequality," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 344, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Koster, M.A.L. & Molina, E. & Sprumont, Y. & Tijs, S.H., 1998. "Core Representations of the Standard Fixed Tree Game," Discussion Paper 1998-21, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dutta, B, 1990. "The Egalitarian Solution and Reduced Game Properties in Convex Games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 153-69.
- Arin, J. & Inarra, E., 1997. "Consistency and Egalitarianism: The Egalitarian Set," ASSET - Instituto De Economia Publica 163, ASSET (Association of Southern European Economic Theorists).
- Monderer, Dov & Samet, Dov & Shapley, Lloyd S, 1992. "Weighted Values and the Core," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 27-39.
- Dutta, Bhaskar & Ray, Debraj, 1989. "A Concept of Egalitarianism under Participation Constraints," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 615-35, May.
- S. H. Tijs & M. Koster & E. Molina & Y. Sprumont, 2002.
"Sharing the cost of a network: core and core allocations,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 567-599.
- Koster, M.A.L. & Molina, E. & Sprumont, Y. & Tijs, S.H., 2001. "Sharing the cost of a network: Core and core allocations," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-91407, Tilburg University.
- Udo Ebert, 1999. "Using equivalent income of equivalent adults to rank income distributions," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 233-258.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Sen, Amartya & Starrett, David, 1973. "Notes on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 180-187, April.
- Javier Arin & Jeroen Kuipers & Dries Vermeulen, 2008. "An axiomatic approach to egalitarianism in TU-games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 565-580, December.
- Ebert, Udo, 1997. "Social Welfare When Needs Differ: An Axiomatic Approach," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 233-44, May.
- Endre Bjørndal & Maurice Koster & Stef Tijs, 2004.
"Weighted allocation rules for standard fixed tree games,"
Springer, vol. 59(2), pages 249-270, 06.
- Bjorndal, E. & Koster, M.A.L. & Tijs, S.H., 2004. "Weighted allocation rules for standard fixed tree games," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-142601, Tilburg University.
- Bjorndal, E. & Koster, M.A.L. & Tijs, S.H., 1999. "Weighted Allocation Rules for Standard Fixed Tree Games," Discussion Paper 1999-79, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.