Core Equivalence in Economies With Satiation
AbstractIt has long been known that in economies with satiation, the set of competitive equilibria does not coincide with the limiting core of an economy. Competitive equilibria may fail to exist because satiated agents may choose their optimal consumption bundles in the interiors of their budget sets, creating a total budget excess. On the other hand, the core of the economy grows very large. Satiated agents are not interested in entering any coalition; non-satiated agents lack the resources for blocking. In dividend equilibria, introduced independently by a number of authors, the budget excess is allowed to be divided among consumers as dividends and equilibrium existence is restored. In this paper we introduce a new notion of blocking, which leads to core - dividend equilibrium equivalence. It is shown that under a condition of strict monotonicity, both revised and traditional notions of blocking lead to the same fuzzy core.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 1998-80.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
satiation; fixed prices; dividend equilibrium; fuzzy core;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dreze, Jacques H. & Muller, Heinz, 1980. "Optimality properties of rationing schemes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 131-149, October.
- Aumann, Robert J & Dreze, Jacques H, 1986.
"Values of Markets with Satiation or Fixed Prices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1271-1318, November.
- Aumann, R.J. & Dreze, J.H., 1984. "Values of markets with satiation or fixed prices," CORE Discussion Papers 1984033, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- AUMANN, Robert J. & DREZE, Jacques H., . "Values of markets with satiation or fixed prices," CORE Discussion Papers RP -722, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Nielsen, Lars Tyge, 1994. "Pareto optima in incomplete financial markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 87-100, January.
- Anderson, Robert M., 1992. "The core in perfectly competitive economies," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 14, pages 413-457 Elsevier.
- Polemarchakis, H. M. & Siconolfi, P., 1993. "Competitive equilibria without free disposal or nonsatiation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 85-99.
- Bettina Klaus & Hans Peters & Ton Storcken, 1998. "Strategy-proof division with single-peaked preferences and individual endowments," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 297-311.
- Makarov, V. L., 1981. "Some results on general assumptions about the existence of economic equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 87-99, March.
- Husseinov, Farhad, 1994. "Interpretation of Aubin's fuzzy coalitions and their extension : Relaxation of finite exchange economics," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 499-516, September.
- Thomson, William & Zhou, Lin, 1993. "Consistent Solutions in Atomless Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 575-87, May.
- Kajii, Atsushi, 1996. "How to discard non-satiation and free-disposal with paper money," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 75-84.
- Nizar Allouch & Monique Florenzano, 2012. "Fuzzy Rejective Core of Satiated Economies with Unbounded Consumption Sets," Working Papers 690, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Allouch, Nizar & Florenzano, Monique, 2013. "Edgeworth rejective core and dividends equilibria of satiated exchange economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 1-6.
- Jorge Rivera & Michael Florig, 2004.
"Indivisible Goods and Fiat Money,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
167, Econometric Society.
- Nizar Allouch & Monique Florenzano, 2011.
"Satiated economies with unbounded consumption sets : fuzzy core and equilibrium,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Nizar Allouch & Monique Florenzano, 2011. "Satiated economies with unbounded consumption sets: fuzzy core and equilibrium," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 11035, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Konovalov, A. & Marakulin, V., 2001. "Equilibria Without the Survival Assumption: A Non-Standard Analysis Approach," Discussion Paper 2001-34, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Konovalov, A. & Marakulin, V., 2002. "Generalized equilibrium in an economy without the survival assumption," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2002-49, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Florig, Michael, 2001. "Hierarchic competitive equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 515-546, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.