Fast Filtering and Smoothing for Multivariate State Space Models
AbstractThis paper gives a new approach to diffuse filtering and smoothing for multivariate state space models. The standard approach treats the observations as vectors while our approach treats each element of the observational vector individually. This strategy leads to computationally efficient methods for multivariate filtering and smoothing. Also, the treatment of the diffuse initial state vector in multivariate models is much simpler than existing methods. The paper presents details of relevant algorithms for filtering, prediction and smoothing. Proofs are provided. Three examples of multivariate models in statistics and economics are presented for which the new approach is particularly relevant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 1998-18.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
Diffuse initialisation; Kalman filter; multivariate models; smoothing; state space; time series;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huang, Roger D & Stoll, Hans R, 1997. "The Components of the Bid-Ask Spread: A General Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 995-1034.
- Koopman, S.J.M. & Lai, H.N., 1998. "Modelling bid-ask spreads in competitive dealership markets," Discussion Paper 1998-032, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Maarten Dossche & Gerdie Everaert, 2005.
"Measuring inflation persistence: A structural time series approach,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005
85, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Dossche, Maarten & Everaert, Gerdie, 2005. "Measuring inflation persistence: a structural time series approach," Working Paper Series 0495, European Central Bank.
- M. Dossche & G. Everaert, 2005. "Measuring inflation persistence: a structural time series approach," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 05/340, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Maarten Dossche & Gerdie Everaert, 2005. "Measuring inflation persistence: a structural time series approach," Working Paper Research 70, National Bank of Belgium.
- Maarten Dossche & Gerdie Everaert, 2005. "Measuring Inflation Persistence: A Structural Time Series Approach," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 459, Society for Computational Economics.
- Ingvar Strid & Karl Walentin, 2009.
"Block Kalman Filtering for Large-Scale DSGE Models,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 33(3), pages 277-304, April.
- Strid, Ingvar & Walentin, Karl, 2008. "Block Kalman filtering for large-scale DSGE models," Working Paper Series 224, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Cecilia Frale & Massimiliano Marcellino & Gian Luigi Mazzi & Tommaso Proietti, 2008.
"A Monthly Indicator of the Euro Area GDP,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2008/32, European University Institute.
- T. Berger & G. Everaert, 2006. "Re-examining the Structural and the Persistence Approach to Unemployment," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 06/383, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Proietti, Tommaso, 2008. "Estimation of Common Factors under Cross-Sectional and Temporal Aggregation Constraints: Nowcasting Monthly GDP and its Main Components," MPRA Paper 6860, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Snyder Ralph D & Forbes Catherine S, 2003.
"Reconstructing the Kalman Filter for Stationary and Non Stationary Time Series,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-20, July.
- Ralph D. Snyder & Catherine S. Forbes, 2002. "Reconstructing the Kalman Filter for Stationary and Non Stationary Time Series," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 14/02, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- João Valle e Azevedo & Siem Jan Koopman & António Rua, 2003.
"Tracking Growth and the Business Cycle: a Stochastic Common Cycle Model for the Euro Area,"
w200316, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Joao Valle e Azevedo & Siem Jan Koopman & Antonio Rua, 2003. "Tracking Growth and the Business Cycle: a Stochastic Common Cycle Model for the Euro Area," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-069/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Borus Jungbacker & Siem Jan Koopman & Michel van der Wel, 0000. "Dynamic Factor Models with Smooth Loadings for Analyzing the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-041/4, Tinbergen Institute, revised 17 Sep 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.