Statistical Algorithms for Models in State Space Using SsfPack 2.2
AbstractThis paper discusses and documents the algorithms of SsfPack 2.2. SsfPack is a suite of C routines for carrying out computations involving the statistical analysis of univariate and multivariate models in state space form. The emphasis is on documenting the link we have made to the Ox computing environment. SsfPack allows for a full range of different state space forms: from a simple time-invariant model to a complicated time-varying model. Functions can be used which put standard models such as ARIMA and cubic spline models in state space form. Basic functions are available for filtering, moment smoothing and simulation smoothing. Ready-to-use functions are provided for standard tasks such as likelihood evaluation, forecasting and signal extraction. We show that SsfPack can be easily used for implementing, fitting and analysing Gaussian models relevant to many areas of econometrics and statistics. Some Gaussian illustrations are given.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 1998-141.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
Kalman filtering and smoothing; Markov chain Monte Carlo; Ox; simulation smoother; state space;
Other versions of this item:
- Siem Jan Koopman & Neil Shephard & Jurgen A. Doornik, 1999. "Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 107-160.
- Neil Shephard & Jurgen Doornik & Siem Jan Koopman, 1998. "Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W06, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sangjoon Kim, Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, .
"Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models,"
W26, revised version of W, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Kim, Sangjoon & Shephard, Neil & Chib, Siddhartha, 1998. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference and Comparison with ARCH Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 361-93, July.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers 3., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1996. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference And Comparison With Arch Models," Econometrics 9610002, EconWPA.
- Harvey, Andrew C & Koopman, Siem Jan, 1992. "Diagnostic Checking of Unobserved-Components Time Series Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(4), pages 377-89, October.
- Balke, Nathan S, 1993. "Detecting Level Shifts in Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 81-92, January.
- Tanaka, Katsuto, 1983. "Non-Normality of the Lagrange Multiplier Statistic for Testing the Constancy of Regression Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1577-82, September.
- Busetti, Fabio & Harvey, Andrew, 2008.
"Testing For Trend,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 72-87, February.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1996.
"Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 409-431, August.
- Siddhartha Chib & Edward Greenberg, 1994. "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics," Econometrics 9408001, EconWPA, revised 24 Oct 1994.
- Siem Jan Koopman & N.G. Shephard, 1992. "Exact Score for Time Series Models in State Space Form (Now published in Biometrika (1992), 79, 4, pp.283-6.)," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /1992/241, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:3:p:409-31 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bergstrom, Albert Rex, 1983. "Gaussian Estimation of Structural Parameters in Higher Order Continuous Time Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(1), pages 117-52, January.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.