Continua of Underemployment Equilibria
AbstractIn this paper the existence of unemployment is partly explained as being the result of coordination failures. This is achieved by considering a standard general equilibriummodel and splitting the set of commodities in two groups. The first group contains commodities like gold. The prices of these commodities are fully flexible, even in the short run, and their markets always clear. The prices of the commodities in the second group are rigid in the short run (for instance labour services or some consumer goods) and households and firms may expect restricted supply possibilities. We show that such expectations are self-enforcing, even if all prices of commodities in the second group are competitive. In that case it is shown that as a result of coordination failures a continuum of equilibria results, among which an equilibrium with approximately no trade in the commodities of the second group, and a Walrasian equilibrium. In fact, these coordination failures also arise at other price systems, but then unemployment is the result of both a wrong price system and coordination failures. Moreover, some properties of the set of equilibria are analysed. Generically, there exists a continuum of non-indifferent equilibrium allocations. Under a condition implied by gross substitutability, there exists a continuum of equilibrium allocations in the neighbourhood of a competitive allocation. Examples show that the latter property may not hold in general.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 1998-05.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
General Equilibrium; Underemployment; Coordination Failures; Indeterminacy;
Other versions of this item:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van der Laan, Gerard, 1980. "Equilibrium under Rigid Prices with Compensation for the consumers," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 63-73, February.
- Roberts, John, 1987. "An Equilibrium Model with Involuntary Unemployment at Flexible, Competitive Prices and Wages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 856-74, December.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1975.
"Neo-Keynesian Disequilibrium Theory in a Monetary Economy,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 503-23, October.
- Benassy Jean-pascal, 1974. "Neokeynesian disequilibrium theory in a monetary economy," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 7402, CEPREMAP.
- Herings, P.J.J., 1993.
"On the connectedness of the set of constrained equilibria,"
1993-63, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Herings, J.J., 1993. "On the Connectedness of the Set of Constrained Equilibria," Papers 9363, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- van der LAAN, Gerard, .
"Simplicial approximation of unemployment equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-467, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Laan, Gerard van der, 1982. "Simplicial approximation of unemployment equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1-2), pages 83-97, January.
- Kurz, Mordecai, 1982. "Unemployment equilibrium in an economy with linked prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 100-123, February.
- Polterovich, V. M. & Spivak, V. A., 1983. "Gross substitutability of point-to-set correspondences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 117-140, April.
- Jones, Larry E & Manuelli, Rodolfo E, 1992.
"The Coordination Problem and Equilibrium Theories of Recessions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Larry E. Jones & R. E. Manuelli, 1987. "The Coordination Problem and Equilibrium Theories of Recessions," Discussion Papers 753, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- P. Jean-Jacques Herings, 1995.
"Equilibrium existence results for economies with price rigidities,"
Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 63-80.
- Herings, P Jean-Jacques, 1996. "Equilibrium Existence Results for Economies with Price Rigidities," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Heller, Walter Perrin & Starr, Ross M, 1979. "Unemployment Equilibrium with Myopic Complete Information," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 339-59, April.
- Silvestre, Joaquin, 1980. "Continua of Hahn-unsatisfactory equilibria : Some examples," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 201-208.
- Laroque, Guy, 1978. "The Fixed Price Equilibria: Some Results in Local Comparative Statics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 1127-54, September.
- Dreze, Jacques H, 1975. "Existence of an Exchange Equilibrium under Price Rigidities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 16(2), pages 301-20, June.
- Laroque, Guy & Polemarchakis, Heraklis, 1978. "On the structure of the set of fixed price equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 53-69, March.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1993. "Nonclearing Markets: Microeconomic Concepts and Macroeconomic Applications," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 732-61, June.
- Movshovich, Solomon M., 1994. "A price adjustment process in a rationed economy," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 305-321, July.
- DRÈZE, Jacques, 2001. "Indeterminateness of equilibria and macroeconomics," CORE Discussion Papers 2001058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna & P. Jean-Jacques Herings & Jacques H Drèze & Hervé Crès, 2001.
"Underemployment of Resources and Self-Fulfilling Beliefs: Nonwalrasian Allocations at Walrasian Prices,"
Sciences Po publications
003, Sciences Po.
- Citanna,Alessandro & Cres,Herve & Dreze,Jacques & Herings,P. Jean-Jacques & Villanacci,Antonio, 2001. "Underemployment of Resources and Self-fulfilling Beliefs: Non-Walrasian Allocations at Walrasian Prices," Research Memorandum 003, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Jacques H.DREZE, 2001.
"On the Macroeconomics of Uncertainty and Incomplete Markets,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
2001011, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- DREZE, Jacques, 1999. "On the macroeconomics of uncertainty and incomplete markets," CORE Discussion Papers 1999064, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sander van der Hoog, 2004. "Credit and Cash-in-Advance in Disequilibrium Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 294, Society for Computational Economics.
- CITANNA, Alessandro & CRES, Herve & DREZE, Jacques & HERINGS, Jean-Jacques & VILLANACCI, Antonio, 2001.
"Continua of underemployment equilibria reflecting coordination failures, also at Walrasian prices,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
732, HEC Paris.
- Citanna, Alessandro & Cres, Herve & Dreze, Jacques & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Villanacci, Antonio, 2001. "Continua of underemployment equilibria reflecting coordination failures, also at Walrasian prices," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 169-200, December.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Laan, G. van der & Talman, A.J.J., 1998. "Price-Quantity Adjustment in a Keynesian Economy," Discussion Paper 1998-118, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.