Nonparametric Nonlinear Cotrending Analysis, with an Application to Interest and Inflation in the U.S
AbstractGiven the assumption that the components of a vector time series are stationary about nonlinear deterministic time trends, nonlinear co-trending is the phenomenon that one or more linear combinations of the time series are stationary about a linear trend, hence the series have common nonlinear deterministic time trends.In this paper we shall develop nonparametric tests for nonlinear co-trending.The tests are based on generalized eigenvalues, where the two matrices involved are constructed nonparametrically on the basis of partial sums.We apply this approach to the federal funds rate and the CPI inflation rate in the U.S., using monthly data.It appears that these series are nonlinearly co-trended, where the nonlinear trend in the inflation rate is positively related to the nonlinear trend in the interest rate.This positive relation between interest and inflation is known in the literature as the price puzzle. Thus, our result suggests that the price puzzle is due to a common nonlinear time trend in the series involved.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 1996-62.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
econometrics; time series; inflation; interest rate; USA;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Herman J. Bierens & Werner Ploberger, 1997.
"Asymptotic Theory of Integrated Conditional Moment Tests,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1129-1152, September.
- Bierens, H.J. & Ploberger, W., 1995. "Asymptotic theory of integrated conditional moment tests," Discussion Paper 1995-124, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bierens, Herman J., 1997.
"Nonparametric cointegration analysis,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 379-404, April.
- Sims, Christopher A., 1992.
"Interpreting the macroeconomic time series facts : The effects of monetary policy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 975-1000, June.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1992. "Interpreting the Macroeconomic Time Series Facts: The Effects of Monetary Policy," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1011, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cahiers de recherche
8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989.
"The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Perron, P, 1988. "The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis," Papers 338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Bierens, Herman J., 1997. "Testing the unit root with drift hypothesis against nonlinear trend stationarity, with an application to the US price level and interest rate," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 29-64, November.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Peter C. Schotman & Herman K. van Dijk, 1991.
"On Bayesian routes to unit roots,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
43, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Perron, P., 1989.
"Testing For A Unit Root In A Time Series With A Changing Mean,"
347, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1990. "Testing for a Unit Root in a Time Series with a Changing Mean," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 153-62, April.
- Bierens, Herman J., 1993. "Higher-order sample autocorrelations and the unit root hypothesis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 137-160.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Victor Solo, 1989. "Asymptotics for Linear Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 932, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Fabio C. Bagliano & Claudio Morana, 2006.
"International Macroeconomic Dynamics: A Factor Vector Autoregressive Approach,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
32, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Bagliano, Fabio C. & Morana, Claudio, 2009. "International macroeconomic dynamics: A factor vector autoregressive approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 432-444, March.
- Fabio C. Bagliano & Claudio Morana, 2006. "International Macroeconomic Dynamics: a Factor Vector Autoregressive Approach," ICER Working Papers 41-2006, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Nuno Cassola & Claudio Morana, 2007.
"Comovements in Volatility in the Euro Money Market,"
ICER Working Papers
7-2007, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Cassola, Nuno & Morana, Claudio, 2010. "Comovements in volatility in the euro money market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 525-539, April.
- Cassola, Nuno & Morana, Claudio, 2006. "Comovements in volatility in the euro money market," Working Paper Series 0703, European Central Bank.
- Roberto Ricciuti, 2004. "Nonlinearity in testing for fiscal sustainability," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 80, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal & Marimoutou, Velayoudoum & Rey, Serge, 2003.
"Trends non linéaires et co-trending dans le taux de change réel effectif du dinar tunisien
[Nonlinear trend and co-trending in the Tunisian real effective exchange rate]," MPRA Paper 30249, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ricciuti, Roberto, 2007.
"The quest for a fiscal rule: Italy, 1861-1998,"
POLIS Working Papers
86, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Roberto Ricciuti, 2008. "The quest for a fiscal rule: Italy, 1861–1998," Cliometrica, Journal of Historical Economics and Econometric History, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), vol. 2(3), pages 259-274, October.
- Christian Gourieroux & Joanna Jasiak, 1999.
"Nonlinear Persistence and Copersistence,"
99-63, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Juan Carlos Cuestas, 2009.
"Purchasing power parity in Central and Eastern European countries: an analysis of unit roots and nonlinearities,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 87-94.
- Juan Carlos Cuestas, 2007. "Purchasing Power Parity In Central And Eastern European Countries: An Analysis Of Unit Roots And Nonlinearities," Working Papers. Serie AD 2007-22, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Fabio Bagliano & Claudio Morana, 2010.
"Business cycle comovement in the G-7: common shocks or common transmission mechanisms?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(18), pages 2327-2345.
- Fabio C. Bagliano & Claudio Morana, 2007. "Business Cycle Comovement in the G-7: Common Shocks or Common Transmission Mechanisms?," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 40, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- HOLMES, Mark J, 2008. "Non-Linear Trend Stationarity And Co-Trending In Latin American Real Exchange Rates," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 8(1), pages 107-118.
- Roberto Tatiwa Ferreira & Ivan Castelar, 2006.
"Nonlinearities And Price Puzzle In Brazil,"
Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
163, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Maghyereh, A. & Al-Zoubi, H., 2006. "Does Fisher Effect Apply in Developing Countries: Evidence From a Nonlinear Cotrending Test applied to Argentina, Brazil, Malysia, Mexico, Korea and Turkey," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 6(2).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.