Entry Deterrence and Signaling in Markets for Search Goods
AbstractThis paper studies entry in markets for search goods. Signaling through prices is studied when an entrant s quality is (i) private information; and (ii) common information of entrant and incumbent. When consumers visit a store, they observe quality and can switch before purchasing. When switching costs are low, an entrant can signal high quality by setting a sufficiently high price; consumers who find out that quality is low switch to the incumbent. Entry may be facilitated when switching costs are sufficiently low, or when the incumbent knows the entrant s type.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 1995-16.
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
Other versions of this item:
- de Bijl, Paul W. J., 1997. "Entry deterrence and signaling in markets for search goods," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-19, November.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fudenberg, Drew & Tirole, Jean, 1991. "Perfect Bayesian equilibrium and sequential equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 236-260, April.
- Harold Demsetz, 1981.
"Barriers to Entry,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
192, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Bagwell, Kyle & Riordan, Michael H, 1991.
"High and Declining Prices Signal Product Quality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 224-39, March.
- KOHLBERG, Elon & MERTENS, Jean-François, .
"On the strategic stability of equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-716, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bagwell, Kyle, 1990.
"Informational product differentiation as a barrier to entry,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 207-223, June.
- Kyle Bagwell, 1986. "Informational Product Differentiation as a Barrier to Entry," Discussion Papers 711, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Paul R. Milgrom & John Roberts, 1984.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
709, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Perry, Motty, 1986. "Perfect sequential equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 97-119, June.
- Bester, Helmut, 1993. "Bargaining versus Price Competition in Markets with Quality Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 278-88, March.
- David Kreps & Robert Wilson, 1998.
Levine's Working Paper Archive
237, David K. Levine.
- In-Koo Cho & David M. Kreps, 1997.
"Signaling Games and Stable Equilibria,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
896, David K. Levine.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1980.
"Product differentiation advantages of pioneering brands,"
1140-80., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1982. "Product Differentiation Advantages of Pioneering Brands," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 349-65, June.
- Klemperer, Paul D, 1987. "Entry Deterrence in Markets with Consumer Switching Costs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388a), pages 99-117, Supplemen.
- Nelson, Phillip, 1970. "Information and Consumer Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 311-29, March-Apr.
- Steven A Matthews & Doron Fertig, 1990. "Advertising Signals of Product Quality," Discussion Papers 881, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hoffmann, Ruben, 2002. "Ownership Structure And Endogenous Quality Choice," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19869, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Levent Çelik, 2008. "Strategic Informative Advertising in a Horizontally Differentiated Duopoly," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp359, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Müller, W. & Spiegel, Y. & Yehezkel, Y., 2006.
"Oligopoly Limit-Pricing in the Lab,"
2006-013, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.