Bayesian analysis of ARMA models using noninformative priors
AbstractParameters in ARMA models are only locally identified. It is shown that the use of diffuse priors in these models leads to a preference for locally nonidentified parameter values. We therefore suggest to use likelihood based priors like the Jeffreys' priors which overcome these problems. An algorithm involving Importance Sampling for calculating the posteriors of ARMA parameters using Jeffreys' priors is constructed. This algorithm is based on the implied AR specification of ARMA models and shows good performance in our applications. As a byproduct the algorithm allows for the computation of the posteriors of diagnostic parameters which show the identifiability of the MA parameters. As a general to specific modeling approach to ARMA models suffers heavily from the previous mentioned identification problems, we derive posterior odds ratios which are suited for comparing (nonnested) parsimonious (low order) ARMA models. These procedures are applied to two datasets, the (extended) Nelson-Plosser data and monthly observations of US 3-month and 10 year interest rates. For approximately 50% of the series in these two datasets an ARMA model is favored above an AR model which has important consequences for especially the long run parameters
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 1995-116.
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
ARMA Models; econometrics;
Other versions of this item:
- Frank Kleibergen & Henk Hoek, 1997. "Bayesian Analysis of ARMA Models using Noninformative Priors," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 97-006/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Kleibergen, F.R. & Hoek, H., 1995. "Bayesian Analysis of ARMA models using Noninformative Priors," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9553-/B, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geweke, John, 1989. "Exact predictive densities for linear models with arch disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 63-86, January.
- Kleibergen, Frank & van Dijk, Herman K., 1994. "On the Shape of the Likelihood/Posterior in Cointegration Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(3-4), pages 514-551, August.
- Schotman, Peter C & van Dijk, Herman K, 1991.
"On Bayesian Routes to Unit Roots,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 387-401, Oct.-Dec..
- Peter C. Schotman & Herman K. van Dijk, 1991. "On Bayesian routes to unit roots," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 43, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Sargan, J D & Bhargava, Alok, 1983. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Regression Models with First Order Moving Average Errors When the Root Lies on the Unit Circle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 799-820, May.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1990.
"To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
950, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P C B, 1991. "To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 333-64, Oct.-Dec..
- Koop, Gary & Steel, Mark F J, 1991. "To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends: A Comment," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 365-70, Oct.-Dec..
- Schotman, Peter C., 1994. "Priors For The Ar(1) Model: Parameterization Issues and Time Series Considerations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(3-4), pages 579-595, August.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1987.
"Partially Identified Econometric Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
845R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Aug 1988.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1991. "To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends: Comment," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 371-73, Oct.-Dec..
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1994. "Bayes inference in regression models with ARMA (p, q) errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 183-206.
- Kloek, Tuen & van Dijk, Herman K, 1978. "Bayesian Estimates of Equation System Parameters: An Application of Integration by Monte Carlo," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Monahan, John F., 1983. "Fully Bayesian analysis of ARMA time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 307-331, April.
- Geweke, John, 1989. "Bayesian Inference in Econometric Models Using Monte Carlo Integration," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1317-39, November.
- Uhlig, Harald, 1994. "On Jeffreys Prior when Using the Exact Likelihood Function," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(3-4), pages 633-644, August.
- Kleibergen, Frank & van Dijk, Herman K., 1994. "Direct cointegration testing in error correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 61-103, July.
- Poirier, Dale J, 1991. "To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends: A Comment," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 381-86, Oct.-Dec..
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Kleibergen, Frank, 1996. "Unit roots in the Nelson-Plosser data: Do they matter for forecasting?," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 283-288, June.
- DeJong, David N & Whiteman, Charles H, 1993. "Estimating Moving Average Parameters: Classical Pileups and Bayesian Posteriors," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(3), pages 311-17, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.