Intersection theorems with a continuum of intersection points
AbstractIn all existing intersection theorems conditions are given under which acertain subset of acollection of sets has a non-empty intersection. In this paper conditions are formulated under which the intersection is a continuum of points satisfying some interesting topological properties. In this sense the intersection theorems considered in this paper belong to a new class. The intersection theorems are formulated on the unit cube and it is shown that both the vector of zeroes and the vector of ones lie in the same component of the intersection. This is interesting for some specific applications. The theorems give a generalization of the well-known lemmas of Knaster, Kuratowski, and Mazurkiewicz, of Sperner, of Shapley, and of Ichiischi. Moreover the results can be used to sharpen the usual formulation of the Sperner Lemma on the cube.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 1994-79.
Date of creation: 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
Optimization; operations research;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shapley, Lloyd & Vohra, Rajiv, 1991. "On Kakutani's Fixed Point Theorem, the K-K-M-S Theorem and the Core of a Balanced Game," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 108-16, January.
- Laan, G. van der & Talman, A.J.J. & Yang, Z.F., 1999.
"Intersection theorems on polytypes,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-78480, Tilburg University.
- Herings, P.J.J., 1992. "On the structure of constrained equilibria," Research Memorandum 587, Tilburg University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Ichiishi, Tatsuro & Idzik, Adam, 1991. "Closed Covers of Compact Convex Polyhedra," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 161-69.
- van der Laan, G. & Talman, D., 1993.
"Intersection Theorems on the Simplotope,"
9370, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Dreze, Jacques H, 1975. "Existence of an Exchange Equilibrium under Price Rigidities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 16(2), pages 301-20, June.
- Herbert E. Scarf, 1967. "The Approximation of Fixed Points of a Continuous Mapping," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 216R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Talman, A.J.J. & Yamamoto, M., 2004.
"Contimuum of zero points of a mapping on a compact, convex set,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-141075, Tilburg University.
- Talman, A.J.J. & Yamamoto, M., 2001. "Contiuum of Zero Points of a Mapping on a Compact Convex Set," Discussion Paper 2001-56, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Talman, A.J.J. & Yang, Z.F., 1999.
"Variational Inequality Problems With a Continuum of Solutions: Existence and Computation,"
1999-72, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Talman, A.J.J. & Yang, Z.F., 2001. "Variational inequality problems with a continuum of solutions: Existence and computation," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-86829, Tilburg University.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Koshevoy, G.A. & Talman, A.J.J. & Yang, Z.F., 2002.
"A General Existence Thorem of Zero Points,"
2002-107, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- P. Jean-Jacques Herings & Gleb A. Koshevoy & Dolf Talman & Zaifu Yang, 2002. "A General Existence Theorem of Zero Points," Working Papers 343, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Herings,P. Jean-Jacques & Koshevoy,Gleb A. & Talman,Dolf & Yang,Zaifu, 2002. "A General Existence Theorem of Zero Points," Research Memorandum 055, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Herings, P.J.J. & Koshevoy, G.A. & Talman, A.J.J. & Yang, Z.F., 2004. "A general existence theorem of zero points," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-123911, Tilburg University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.