Intersection theorems with a continuum of intersection points
AbstractIn all existing intersection theorems conditions are given under which acertain subset of acollection of sets has a non-empty intersection. In this paper conditions are formulated under which the intersection is a continuum of points satisfying some interesting topological properties. In this sense the intersection theorems considered in this paper belong to a new class. The intersection theorems are formulated on the unit cube and it is shown that both the vector of zeroes and the vector of ones lie in the same component of the intersection. This is interesting for some specific applications. The theorems give a generalization of the well-known lemmas of Knaster, Kuratowski, and Mazurkiewicz, of Sperner, of Shapley, and of Ichiischi. Moreover the results can be used to sharpen the usual formulation of the Sperner Lemma on the cube.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 1994-79.
Date of creation: 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
Optimization; operations research;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van der Laan, G. & Talman, D., 1993.
"Intersection Theorems on the Simplotope,"
9370, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Laan, G. van der & Talman, A.J.J. & Yang, Z.F., 1999.
"Intersection theorems on polytypes,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-78480, Tilburg University.
- Ichiishi, Tatsuro & Idzik, Adam, 1991. "Closed Covers of Compact Convex Polyhedra," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 161-69.
- Shapley, Lloyd & Vohra, Rajiv, 1991. "On Kakutani's Fixed Point Theorem, the K-K-M-S Theorem and the Core of a Balanced Game," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 108-16, January.
- Dreze, Jacques H, 1975. "Existence of an Exchange Equilibrium under Price Rigidities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 16(2), pages 301-20, June.
- Herings, P.J.J., 1992. "On the structure of constrained equilibria," Research Memorandum 587, Tilburg University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Herbert E. Scarf, 1967. "The Approximation of Fixed Points of a Continuous Mapping," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 216R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.