Exchange rate bands and optimal monetary accomodation under a dirty float
AbstractThis paper studies regimes of managed exchange rates for a small open economy with an integrated capital market, rational expectations in financial markets, sluggish nominal wages and prices, and supply shocks that follow a Brownian motion. Each regime can be characterized by the degree to which price shocks are accommodated and the width of the exchange rate band. Special cases of monetary accommodation are a peg, a clean float and a PPP exchange rate rule. First, the optimal degree of monetary accommodation of price shocks is analysed when there is no exchange rate band. Given that the welfare loss is a weighted sum of the asymptotic variances of output and of consumer prices, monetary accommodation is particularly strong when the authorities care relatively more about full employment than price stability. More flexible labour markets induce right-wing governments to move towards a cleaner float and left-wing governments towards a PPP exchange rate rule. Second, the effects of exchange rate bands and the accompanying inframarginal interventions are examined when allowance is made for intramarginal interventions as well. Such a framework can, in contrast to the pioneering Krugman analysis, explain the observed hump-shaped unconditional density functions of EMS exchange rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research in its series Discussion Paper with number 1992-13.
Date of creation: 1992
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://center.uvt.nl
Other versions of this item:
- Beetsma, Roel & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1992. "Exchange Rate Bands and Optimal Monetary Accommodation Under a Dirty Float," CEPR Discussion Papers 725, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- E0 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sutherland, Alan, 1995.
"Monetary and real shocks and the optimal target zone,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 161-172, January.
- Alan Sutherland, . "Monetary and Real Shocks and the Optimal Target Zone," Discussion Papers 92/7, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1992.
"Why Exchange Rate Bands? Monetary Independence in Spite of Fixed Exchange Rates,"
521, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- E.O. Svensson, Lars, 1994. "Why exchange rate bands? : Monetary independence in spite of fixed exchange rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 157-199, February.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1992. "Why Exchange Rate Bands? Monetary Independence in Spite of Fixed Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 4207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1992. "Why Exchange Rate Bands? Monetary Independence in Spite of Fixed Exchange Rates," CEPR Discussion Papers 742, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bekaert, G.R.J. & Gray, S.F., 1997.
"Target zones and exchange rates: An empirical investigation,"
1997-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bekaert, Geert & Gray, Stephen F., 1998. "Target zones and exchange rates:: An empirical investigation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 1-35, June.
- Geert Bekaert & Stephen F. Gray, 1999. "Target Zones and Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 5445, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beetsma, Roel M W J & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1994.
"Intramarginal Interventions, Bands and the Pattern of EMS Exchange Rate Distributions,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(3), pages 583-602, August.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Ploeg, F. van der, 1993. "Intramarginal interventions, bands and the pattern of EMS exchange rate distributions," Discussion Paper 1993-48, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.