Multi-Attribute Dispatching Rules For Agv Systems With Many Vehicles
AbstractInternal transport systems using automated guided vehicles (AGVs) are widely used in many facilities such as warehouses, distribution centers and transshipment terminals. Most AGV systems use online dispatching rules to control vehicle movements. In literature, there are many types of dispatching rules such as single- and multi-attribute dispatching rules. However, a dispatching rule that is good for all cases does not exist. In this research, we study a specific type of AGV environments which has not received much attention from researchers - AGV systems with many vehicles as can be seen in airport baggage handling systems. We propose two new multi-attribute dispatching rules for this type of environment and compare their performance with that of two of the best dispatching rules in literature. Using simulation we show that the new multi-attribute dispatching rules are robust and perform very well.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam. in its series Research Paper with number ERS-2004-077-LIS.
Date of creation: 19 Nov 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.erim.eur.nl/
destination-coded vehicle; online dispatching; AGV system;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-11-30 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Le-Anh, T. & Koster, M.B.M. de, 2004. "A Review Of Design And Control Of Automated Guided Vehicle Systems," Research Paper ERS;2004-030-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- repec:fth:louvco:2001/37 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mantel, Ronald J. & Landeweerd, Henri R. A., 1995. "Design and operational control of an AGV system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-3), pages 257-266, October.
- CHEVALIER, Philippe & POCHET, Yves & TALBOT, Laurence, 2001. "Design and performance analysis of a heavily loaded material handling system," CORE Discussion Papers 2001037, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ERIM Series Handler at the ERIM Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.