New Firm Growth: Exploring Processes and Paths
AbstractThis paper provides a new methodology for the diachronic study of new firm growth, theoretically grounded in the work of Penrose (1995). We show that a model of firm growth as an unfolding process makes possible draw simple, measurable inferences from firm level to aggregate evidence on growth paths of new firms, expressed as propositions. Metrics on growth paths of new firms in three longitudinal samples of new firms are examined for evidence at the aggregate level consistent with the dynamic model. Dynamic processes in the early development of young firms result in variations in the timing, magnitude, duration and rate of change of growth as between firms and in the same firm over time. The conceptual and methodological framework in this paper provides a basis for future research aimed at explaining the development of new firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam. in its series Research Paper with number ERS-2003-096-ORG.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.erim.eur.nl/
entrepreneurship; Penrose; growth paths; new firm growth; resource-based perspective;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pitelis, Christos (ed.), 2002. "The Growth of the Firm: The Legacy of Edith Penrose," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199248520.
- Israel M. Kirzner, 1997. "Entrepreneurial Discovery and the Competitive Market Process: An Austrian Approach," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 60-85, March.
- Scott Shane & Toby Stuart, 2002. "Organizational Endowments and the Performance of University Start-ups," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(1), pages 154-170, January.
- Best, Michael, 2001. "The New Competitive Advantage: The Renewal of American Industry," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198297451.
- Robert K. Kazanjian & Robert Drazin, 1989. "An Empirical Test of a Stage of Growth Progression Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1489-1503, December.
- Garnsey, Elizabeth, 1998. "A Theory of the Early Growth of the Firm," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(3), pages 523-56, September.
- Schimke, Antje & Teichert, Nina & Ott, Ingrid, 2012. "Impact of local knowledge endowment on employment growth in nanotechnology," Working Paper Series in Economics 38, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Department of Economics and Business Engineering.
- Erik Stam & Karl Wennberg, 2009.
"The roles of R&D in new firm growth,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 77-89, June.
- Segarra Blasco, Agustí & Teruel Carrizosa, Mercedes, 2011. "High Growth Firms and Innovation: an empirical analysis for Spanish firms," Working Papers 2072/179669, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Erik Stam & Elizabeth Garnsey, 2005. "New Firms Evolving in the Knowledge Economy; problems and solutions around turning points," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2005-05, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Teruel Carrizosa, Mercedes & De Wit, Gerrit, 2011. "Determinants of high-growth firms:why do some countries have more high-growth firms than others?," Working Papers 2072/179670, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Halvarsson, Daniel, 2012. "Are high-growth firms one-hit wonders? Evidence from Sweden," HUI Working Papers 73, HUI Research.
- Simon Parker & David Storey & Arjen Witteloostuijn, 2010. "What happens to gazelles? The importance of dynamic management strategy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 203-226, September.
- Erik Stam, 2005. "Why Butterflies Don’t Leave - Spatial development of new firms," ERSA conference papers ersa05p449, European Regional Science Association.
- Ferreira, João & Azevedo, Susana, 2007. "Entrepreneurial Orientation as a main Resource and Capability on Small Firm’s Growth," MPRA Paper 5682, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Coad, Alex & Segarra, Agustí & Teruel, Mercedes, 2013.
"Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 173-189.
- Alex Coad & Agustí Segarra & Mercedes Teruel, 2010. "Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?," Working Papers XREAP2010-10, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Sep 2010.
- Coad, Alex & Segarra Blasco, Agustí & Teruel Carrizosa, Mercedes, 2010. "Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?," Working Papers 2072/179572, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Alex Coad & AgustÃ Segarra & Mercedes Teruel, 2010. "Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2010-06, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Alex Coad & Julian Frankish & Richard G. Roberts & David J. Storey, 2011. "Growth Paths and Survival Chances," SPRU Working Paper Series 195, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- repec:ner:louvai:info:hdl:2078/17738 is not listed on IDEAS
- A. Arrighetti & S. Curatolo & A. Lasagni, 2008. "Determinanti della domanda di laureati nell'industria manifatturiera italiana," Economics Department Working Papers 2008-EP02, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Alex Coad & Werner Hölzl, 2009. "On the Autocorrelation of Growth Rates," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 139-166, June.
- Werner Hölzl, 2012. "Mobility Barriers and the Speed of Market Selection," WIFO Working Papers 437, WIFO.
- Erik Stam, 2010. "Growth beyond Gibrat: firm growth processes and strategies," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 129-135, September.
- Antje Schimke, 2011. "Factors Affecting the Growth of Manufacturing Firms â€šÃ„Ã¬ Analysis of Growth Stages: A Case of German Firms," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1386, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ERIM Series Handler at the ERIM Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.