A Polynomial Time Algorithm for a Deterministic Joint Pricing and Inventory Model
AbstractIn this paper we consider the uncapacitated economic lot-size model, where demand is adeterministic function of price. In the model a single price need to be set for all periods. Theobjective is to find an optimal price and ordering decisions simultaneously. In 1973 Kunreuther and Schrage proposed an heuristic algorithm to solve this problem. The contribution of our paper is twofold. First, we derive an exact algorithm to determine the optimal price and lot-sizing decisions. Moreover, we show that our algorithm boils down to solving a number of lot-sizing problems that is quadratic in the number of periods, i.e., the problem can be solved in polynomial time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam. in its series Research Paper with number ERS-2003-065-LIS.
Date of creation: 25 Sep 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.erim.eur.nl/
pricing; inventory; production; lot-sizing;
Other versions of this item:
- van den Heuvel, Wilco & Wagelmans, Albert P.M., 2006. "A polynomial time algorithm for a deterministic joint pricing and inventory model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 463-480, April.
- NEP-ALL-2003-12-07 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Awi Federgruen & Joern Meissner, 2004. "Competition under Time-Varying Demands and Dynamic Lot-Sizing Costs," Working Papers MRG/0003, Department of Management Science, Lancaster University, revised May 2008.
- Geunes, Joseph & Merzifonluoglu, Yasemin & Romeijn, H. Edwin, 2009. "Capacitated procurement planning with price-sensitive demand and general concave-revenue functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 194(2), pages 390-405, April.
- Jans, R.F. & Degraeve, Z., 2005. "Modeling Industrial Lot Sizing Problems: A Review," Research Paper ERS-2005-049-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Heuvel, W. van den & Romeijn, H.E. & Wagelmans, A.P.M. & Kundakcioglu, O.E., 2007. "Integrated market selection and production planning: complexity and solution approaches," Econometric Institute Report EI 2007-45, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ERIM Series Handler at the ERIM Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.